Specks of Silver

Leo Pov

I didn't have another moment alone with Jason for days. Our ship was badly damaged and New Rome soldiers were on our asses. When we all found out about the eidolons, Annabeth apologized for blaming me. While I appreciated it, part of me still felt bad. And I noticed the way Percy and Frank glared at me. So I stuck to myself most of the time. I could hear the fates laughing at me. From the third wheel to the seventh wheel. I should win an award.

I couldn't even worry myself with Jason, who got knocked out again from a fight with Percy. Every time I fixed a problem, another one rose up. I was sitting at the hull, rewiring Festus' head when I heard footsteps behind me. I didn't turn around, and kept working.

"A little busy here, come back later" Jason's voice pulled me out of focus.

"I was actually hoping we could talk..."

I turned and saw him. He towered over me, his large stature intimidating, but attractive. He had on jeans and a sky blue sweatshirt, the hood protecting his ears from the cool breeze that passed by every so often. I had on work pants and a t-shirt, the heat from Festus' body enough to fight against the cold.

"Oh... hey" I blushed and returned my attention back to Festus, attempting to hide my reaction to him. "Uh sure, what's up?"

He leaned on the hull, and sighed at Festus' warmth, like he was a campfire.

"Things have been pretty crazy recently..."

"Yup..." I closed Festus up and patted his neck. "The life of a demigod, amiright?"

Jason laughs softly. "Yeah, I guess you are." He gets quiet for a moment, and I begin to grow anxious. Time to suffer through some small talk.

"So..... How's your head?" I asked.

Jason stares at me, his eyes wide, and cheeks flushed.

"My what?"

I stare back at him, confused by his reaction.

"Your head...? Getting kicked in the head by a horse seems worse than a brick"

Jason's eyebrows raised and the rest of his face turned cherry red.

"Oh... right. Its fine..."

I found myself staring at him, fascinated.

"I don't think I've ever seen you blush that much" My mouth just moved without thinking, and I bit my tongue. Dumbass, why'd you say that?!?

Jason blushes even more, his neck getting red too. I tried to hold back a laugh, but I wasn't good at it

"Shut up!" He punches my arm. I know it was meant to be playful but it actually hurt like hell.

"Oww! Superman, come on, that hurt!"

Jason turns away from me, attempting to hide his face.

"My bad..."

I poke his cheek.

"Hey, how am I supposed to know that apology is genuine if I can't even see your face, Sparky?"

I joked. But then he turned to look at me, his expression soft, though his face was still very red. He leaned closer to me and looked into my eyes. I felt myself move away instinctively, but it didn't faze him. Jason's eyes were always fascinating to look at. They were blue, but almost gray, like storm clouds circling a blue sky. I stared at them, mesmerized almost. It's not like I haven't looked at them before. They were probably my favorite feature of his. But I've never gotten this close before. I've never noticed the specks of silver in his eyes.

Jason said something but I didn't hear him.

"W-what...?"

"I said I'm sorry." He moved his face away from me and grabbed my arm gently. "Does it still hurt?"

I felt like I could catch on fire right then and now. I made sure not to, because that would be excruciatingly embarrassing. I couldn't, however, keep my body from heating up as he inspected my arm, which I barely even noticed now.

I pull it away from his grasp, and punch him back.

"There, now we're even."

Jason chuckled, barely reacting. "Cool" he said, smiling at me.

I didn't mean to.

I swear I didn't mean to, but I stared at his lips. The white scar shone across his skin in the moonlight. Most times it was barely noticeable. But now I can make out every jagged edge. I reached out to touch it. He didn't move.

My thumb grazed gently across Jason's upper lip, feeling where the scar begins and where it ends. I feel him suck in a breath, and I snap back to reality. I drop my arm from his face, blushing myself.

"Wow, sorry that was kind of weird" I laughed nervously and turned away from him. Before he could say anything, I heard Annabeth's voice call my name.

"Leo, the plumbing's screwed again!"

While I'm not usually excited to handle plumbing I was anxious to get out of this situation.

"Duty calls," I smile nervously and rush down to the lower deck, my heart pounding in my chest.

Author's note: did anyone get that stupid joke? Im sorry XD