Losing You

Jason Pov

Leo is pretty much the absolute worst person to have a crush on. Why? Because he flirts with almost everybody, just to get a reaction. And he's never failed to get a reaction out of me.

If he knew how much I liked him, I would've called his actions cruel. But I was very much aware of how oblivious Leo can be. Piper's been scolding me for hanging out with Leo so much, but I couldn't help myself. I found myself being excited to see him the moment I wake up, and thinking about him as soon as I fall asleep.

Piper figured that being with him so often wasn't going to help my massive crush on him. And, of course she was right. There was no way that I wasn't being obvious at this point. I always listened to him rant about boat repairs because I like the way his eyes light up when he talks about his craft. I tell him the corniest dad jokes that I knew only he would find funny because I love his laugh. And the more I look at him the more pretty I find him to be. His eyes are big, but turn into slits whenever he smiles. His nose is small and pointy and his dark curly hair nearly reached his shoulders whenever he didn't have it up. And he has a small mole under his left eyebrow that I tend to focus on when I feel too overwhelmed to look him in the eyes.

It's actually starting to kill me when he's not around. I have more time to think about how we're not actually together. There were moments where I almost told him how I felt. But it was always hard to tell what Leo was thinking. 80% of his personality was built off of his insincere humor and sarcasm. He was rarely on the same page that I was whenever we did try to talk about more serious things, like the past, and it would always take some work to get him to open up. I know about Leo's upbringing and his mom. But I feel like he breezed through that trauma so quickly in our conversations that I wasn't able to fully register it myself. Just how much he has gone through.

Despite my pining, I never realized that I loved him until I woke up with a mild concussion, his hand holding mine.

~~~

Leo's Pov

A recent nightmare of mine came true. That nightmare being that everyone in our group turned on me and I officially became an outcast. Again.

I couldn't explain to Annabeth what had happened. I hadn't known what happened. It was as if I blacked out, and when I came to, New Rome was on fire, everyone was screaming and the Argo II was on its way out of Camp Jupiter. I withered under Annabeth's stormy gaze and my heart fell when I saw Jason.

Slumped over Piper's shoulder, Jason looked weak. A sight that wasn't very common to see. His eyes and lips lost their usual pink tint, and blood was running down his face from his temple. I would've ran to him if Percy wasn't hovering over me, ready to restrain me at the first sign of mania.

Piper caught my eyes, and hers were filled with worry. Jason looked like he was unconscious. With the help of Frank and Hazel, Piper got Jason to the infirmary on the lower deck. I stared in horror at Jason's lifeless face.

After Percy and Annabeth let me go from their interrogation, I ran down to the infirmary to find Jason laying in one of the cots, with Piper by his side, sitting in a chair. When she saw me she stood up.

"He's okay, just needs a little rest".

I walked over beside him and stared. His head had been bandaged up and the color was beginning to return to his face.

I did this.

A massive wave of guilt washed over me as I sunk into the chair beside him.

"This is my fault," I said quietly.

I felt Piper's hand squeeze my shoulder.

"I don't know what happened Leo, but this is not your fault."

I looked up at my best friend and saw her smiling slightly, trying to reassure me.

"So you believe me?" I asked her.

"Of course I do. We already know there are forces working against us. We just have to figure out what". She squeezed my shoulder again.

"I'll go talk to Annabeth, she's reasonable. We'll figure this out". And with that, she left, leaving me alone with Jason.

Despite Piper's words, I still felt miserable. I don't know what I'd do if something worse had happened to Jason. Something he couldn't bounce back from. I stared at him. He looked so peaceful when he was sleeping. His brow isn't scrunched in his usual concerned gaze, his jaw free from clenching. I placed my hand on the top of his head. His hair had grown out since the Wilderness School. His blonde curls wrapped around my fingers in a spiral.

I was in love with him. It wasn't even something I could deny anymore. That fear of losing him gripped me so tight I felt like I couldn't breathe. I really felt like crying, but I didn't. I was going to be strong for him when he wakes up. Like he always is for me. I put my hand in his, letting it disappear under his much longer fingers. I could've sworn I felt him squeeze.

Author's note: Hi! Some quick notes: This chapter takes place while they are on the Argo 2 and Leo's POV takes place right after they flee Camp Jupiter in Mark of Athena. Also my Jason is black and albino :) I don't know how far I'm going to take this but we'll see. Thanks for reading! <3