Matchmaker

Piper's Pov

It had been three months since Jason told me how he felt about Leo. In between battle training, learning more about my charmspeak, and preparing to trek to the other side of the country, it was as if we were all too busy to worry about relationships. 

Except Annabeth, of course, who grew increasingly more worried about her boyfriend Percy Jackson. I had become good friends with her over the past couple of months. So much so that I've grown excited to meet this Famous Percy dude.

"How much you wanna bet he's the most basic white straight dude you've ever seen?" Leo joked. Me, him, and Jason were all hanging out in the engine room, which is basically where Leo has been sleeping ever since we left Camp Half Blood.

Jason nudged his shoulder.

"Hey, come on, that's rude" His tone was scolding but humor glittered in his pale eyes.

"I'm just saying!" Leo raised his hands up in defense.

"Both of you are awful," I laughed.

Annabeth poked her head into the engine room.

"Jason, can I borrow you for a second? We need to plan out how we're going to land".

"On it!" Jason smiled at me and Leo and went to join Annabeth in the common area.

Leo and I chatted about non-important things like what we wanted for dinner that day, and so on. It wasn't until he got quiet that I got the courage to ask him about Jason.

Jason had told me that nothing was going on between him and Leo. Even though I hurt for him, I understood why Jason wanted to preserve their friendship. But as time went on, I had inklings that Jason's crush might not be as one sided as he thinks. They've been hanging out one on one more than they ever had, and you'll almost always find them together. 

We've been starting to do less things as a group of three now. Jason became kind of an outsider in the trio when we realized he wasn't who we thought he was. Even when he was more integrated, Leo and I always had a stronger friendship. But I've noticed Leo kind of clams up when he talks to me. Like he was trying hard to hide something. Neither of us are known for keeping secrets from each other.

"So you and Jason have been hanging out a lot recently" I tested the waters, trying to be careful not to push Leo into a confession too quickly. He looked up at me quickly and started fidgeting with some toys he kept on his desk.

"Uh yeah, we're like besties now" he said, making his voice higher , in an attempt to be funny. "You jealous, Pied Piper?"

I tried to look past that ridiculous nickname. "Actually yeah. It's like he's stolen you from me" I pouted my lips. Leo laughed nervously, his fingers beginning to move faster.

"Well, you dumped him. He's mine now." he said, still looking nervous. Normally it wouldn't take this much work to get Leo talking. But he was only responding with quips and laughs. Time to push further.

"Yeah, but when Annabeth gets back with Percy, I'll be single and all alone," I said with a laugh. Leo looked up at me, his brown eyes squinting.

"Come on, Pipes. It's not like we're dating."

"It's not?" I quirked an eyebrow. "I could've sworn I saw something between you two"

Leo's eyebrows raised, looking almost hopeful. "You do?" his voice got small, and I felt that I was finally breaking through this new wall he put up recently. I sat across from him. I could see in his eyes that there's something going on under the surface. I dare not use my charmspeak purposefully on any of my friends. Luckily, I can get people to open up in other ways.

"Only if there's something you want to tell me" I responded, forcing him to keep eye contact. Wasn't long before he caved.

"Ugh, you suck you know that?" he said as I pulled my chair closer to him and looked on expectantly.

"Sooooo" Leo dragged it out, clearly annoyed with me. "I might have an even bigger crush on Jason now"

I pumped my fists in the air in silent celebration. Leo cringed at me.

"Please never do that again." I stuck my tongue out at him.

I remember when Leo and I both had crushes on Jason. Or at least who we thought was Jason. Leo always downplayed it for me, but I think a part of me knew it was more deep than he let on.

"Listen you can't say anything, alright?" Leo grabbed my wrists and talked in a hushed tone. "The last thing we all need is romance drama".

I nodded. I was just going to have to play matchmaker from the shadows.

Authors note: quick piper chapter and a fast forward. this is a valgrace story so i won't be going too much in depth with other characters but they'll be there as supports :)