Chapter 19

I sat on the couch with my head laid back, trying to figure out what I'm going to do

It's Tuesday and Iris is at her moms house until Saturday because of thanksgiving. I asked her why they celebrated that white man's holiday but she said they don't and that's just another reason to cook a lot and have family over. What type of shit is that?

Thanksgiving used to be a big deal in my family but after my mom passed, not so much. She brought the family together and without her, it was just another reminder that she wasn't here. Ugh.

I continued staring at the ceiling until I heard the door open, "Oh dear baby brother. Where art thy brotheren."

I raised my head up to look at my sister, who was walking towards me. "What are you doing here?" Putting my head back down.

Sitting down next to me, letting out a sigh, "You know I hate being alone during the holidays." Pouting. "So I thought we'd have thanksgiving together," smiling.

I side eyed her, "No thank you."

She went to rebuttal before getting interrupted, "Your girlfriend stole my girlfriend!" Miles came barging through the front door. I need to change the locks, better yet, move.

Miles paused as he noticed Freya, "Hey there big boy." Biting her lip. I mentally threw up in my mouth.

"Please never say that again," Miles says in a disgusted tone. Freya shrugged, "Anyway since Miles is here, let's have a family dinner, just us." Now standing.

"I really don't want to, mom is not even here so why would we?" Sitting up on the couch.

She threw her hands up in the air, "Exactly, she's not here so we need to do this. Dad's not here, not that he was much helpful. You know she loved the holidays so let's honor her memory!" I let out a deep breath.

"You know I never thought I'd say this but she's right," walking towards us. Freya smiled and looked towards me with a 'I told you so' expression. Closing my eyes, I agreed to have a family dinner. "Who's going to cook?" Is all I asked.

She smiled and pointed to herself, Miles and I both looked at each before signing. She can't cook to save her life, when we were young she almost burned the house trying to make eggs.

Please pray for us and our stomachs. Hopefully Iris don't have to go through this.

I'm helping my mom get all the groceries and other stuff she needs to cook

I'm helping my mom get all the groceries and other stuff she needs to cook. The office was closed this week since thanksgiving is Thursday. We still get paid and that's all I needed to know.

"Chile, go look to see if they have any chitlins," pointing to the frozen section. I looked at her in disgust, "Respectfully mom, I'm not doing that."

Honestly chitlins are nasty as hell and I'll argue with anyone on that. They have your house smelling like ass and the smell gets on your clothes. "Ask V when she gets over here from wherever she went." Pushing the cart in the opposite direction.

Since it's Tuesday, she won't have us prepping anything and just making sure we got everything. I'll be back here 6 times in the next 2 days.

"Mom I got the pans and to-go plates, they were almost gone." V putting the items in the cart. She calls my mom, mom because she said she's like a second mother to her. Violets mom passed away a couple years ago so she has been with my family for holidays.

"Good, baby can you go see if they have chitlins for me?! This one refused." I shrugged and looked the other way, I'm not getting them thangs.

"Mhmm are you sure you want chitlins for thanksgiving?! Aren't you having Thanksgiving dinner at your house??" Reasoning with her.

My mother groaned before letting it go and I did a small victory pose. We finished getting everything we needed and headed to check out. My mom is cooking basically everything because she doesn't trust anybody to make anything.

Honestly, if my mom said she wasn't making the Mac and cheese I wasn't eating it. There's a few things Ion play about and mac and cheese is one.

We walked out of the store and headed to my car. We drove my car because it's bigger and all the stuff she got, we were going to need it.

Mom helped a little bit, then got in the car taking the eggs with her. V and I finished putting the groceries in the car. Before I got in the car, my phone rang and I saw that it was Issac.

I just let it ring and decide I'll call him back later because my phone will connect to the car and lord knows what will come out his mouth.

Getting back to my moms house and helping her put the stuff away. I walk to my old room which is now a guest room and call Issac back. "Wassup what you need?!" As he answered the phone.

"You, here. But since that's not going to happen, just hearing your voice will do." I changed my clothes and plopped down on my bed. I put one of my AirPods in, "What are you doing?"

"About to head out, my sister came over and decided that we should have Thanksgiving dinner. So Freya, Miles and I are heading to get stuff." As I hear the car door slam.

I hummed. V walked into my room asking if I wanted to watch the Hallmark channel and drink hot chocolate, which I accepted gracefully. "Well ima let y'all enjoy family time. Text me when you get home."

He told me goodbye before hanging up the phone. I took my headphone out and changed into some comfortable clothes. "Where my momma go?!" Asking V as I stepped into the kitchen. "Oh she went to take a nap," placing cookie dough on a pan.

"Mhm, you want milk or water for this hot cocoa?" Grabbing the kettle pot.

She gave me a stank face before answering, "Please be real. You know I want milk." I nodded my head and went to grab the milk.

After about 20 minutes, everything was done and we can finally start the movie. Ugh I feel like I need a vacation.