Chapter 8: To the capital

Marien's POV

"Take this, honey." My mom's voice... "Don't forget to bring your books. You plan to study more than I do, don't you?" she said with amusement.

"Yes. I'm going to graduate with honors, don't worry," I replied, happy.

When I woke up, I felt heavy. The deathly silence reigned. I turned cautiously after feeling a chill and was suddenly relieved to see Anthony still there, showing peace in his face. He was really close, and I could admire him in detail.

Mom, if you knew what was next to me...

I barely smiled, bringing my hand closer to his, which was resting nearby. I went over its details. His claws seemed to be barely growing. He gave a slight growl at that moment, and I froze. He frowned, opened his eyes, and I blushed. Surprised, he looked at me with those big feline green eyes like a curious and cute cat.

I heard a giggle, turned around, and saw my aunt's two children peeking out of the bed edge. I cried in surprise and practically jumped away from Anthony, falling off the bed.

Anthony picked me up off the ground without difficulty. My cousins ​​were laughing on the floor, and they ran out of the room after a few seconds.

Anthony was watching me worriedly.

"I'm fine, don't worry," I said. "Good morning."

"Good morning, miss," he replied with that voice I liked.

We got ready to leave; we kept our things in the backpack. My aunt started preparing breakfast as soon as she woke up. Anthony left my bag on the sofa and sat beside me at the table. My cousins were ​​in front, and my aunt at the head. There was milk, bread, cold cuts, cheese and other dairy products, jam, fruits, and fried eggs. Anthony tried a little of everything I was offering him, but he didn't leave the milk aside, of course.

What would I expect if I traveled with him? Maybe my mom would have known.

Had he really escaped from his society to see humans? Or was it something else? I wanted to know more about him.

***

Anthony already had my backpack and offered me a slight smile. My aunt handed us two food containers and gave me some special pills that counteracted drugs like those used by security guards to sedate the evolved people.

"Thank you," we both said.

"Sorry for the inconvenience," I added.

"Don't worry. Please let me know when you arrive in the capital."

"Yes, I'll do it when I can."

We said goodbye, left the house, and walked a few blocks.

"I think I have something for you." I took out my sunglasses.

"Why?" he wanted to know.

"Your eyes..."

"Uh, sure." He put them on, and I smiled.

"You look great!"

"Well, I'm not used to having something on my face."

"Oh, you'll handle it."

I patted him gently on the shoulder, and we continued to the city exit. The guards would think we were trying to kill ourselves by leaving, but we wouldn't be the first to do so, so it wasn't a problem. Getting out of the city was another new form of suicide. However, the extremists also liked to travel on foot and thus prove themselves. There was everything.