Chapter 22: My Eternal Companion

Sirius' POV

After leaving Marien, I went to see Mom.

I noticed that the clothes I had in my arm got a little wrinkled from hugging my girl, but it didn't matter. I left it on a chair before going in to see Mom.

To my surprise, she had a slight smile.

"So, are you going with her?"

Oh, she heard us. Well, the door was open...

"Y-yes..."

"What a relief," she whispered. She sighed and moved closer until her forehead was against my chest, so I hugged her. "She finally convinced you. She was stronger than your stubbornness."

I smiled guiltily.

"Mom, I didn't know it worried you, too. I'm sorry."

"Of course, it distresss me," she claimed, and she looked at me with some anger and happiness at the same timea strange combination. "You are my son. I don't care about my honor; I haven't cared since I had you. I don't want you to surrender to Orion and the crazy old leaders either."

I was surprised.

"Mother, what a way to call them."

She laughed silently, turning away.

"I know. I'm sorry."

"It's okay; I also call them old and crazy."

"Yes, I have heard you," she commented with her smile.

I was glad that the most important women in my life were happy. It was true. I agreed with Mom. Sometimes, honor couldn't be more important than people.

I sighed and smiled like a fool again.

"Mom... I want to join her..."

She thought about it for a second.

"But she is human."

"And us, aren't we?... And what I feel for her is..."

She sighed again.

"I know she has feelings for you." Her lips formed a slight smile. "And you too. You are going to discover wonderful things thanks to that... But you know that humans do not have unions, and joining someone is not as simple as the elders here make it seem."

"She wants to be with me and I with her. Isn't that what warrants a good union?"

"Yes. Partly."

"It's what I have to do."

"Again, with a new whim. First, you get infatuated with dying just because, and now this," She snorted, smiling. I laughed and scratched the back of my neck with some embarrassment. "Can you help me with breakfast tomorrow?"

"Of course."

"Well, first thing in the morning, I'll go talk to Ganymede so he can do the ceremony. He's the only one of the old leaders who likes us."

I smiled widely.

At around five in the morning, when many people in town woke up, I helped mom make breakfast while she went out. I fed the chickens and collected some eggs from the hens to cook. When I returned through the other garden, I looked askance at the windows of my room where my sweet Marien was.

I smiled slightly, seeing that she seemed to be resting well. Having been around humans, I now knew they tended to sleep more. I understood, of course; I also took the opportunity to sleep more when I was with them.