Chapter 29: To Train

Sirius' POV

"Whenever we arrive in the morning, we touch the pad to clock in," Max explained. I touched the screen, and the surface turned green. "Good. Then you should see in the schedules if any mission is going on. Meanwhile, you can warm up, do the training, and wait to see if I give any orders."

"Uhm," I looked around and saw a couple of men lifting those weights that humans liked so much. "Understood."

"Now that your shift is active, the money is coming. Since I assumed you didn't have a bank account, I created one at the National Security Bank. They have that program because many young people finish high school and enter the armed forces. It's already active, so your debit card will arrive shortly. Alright?"

"Yes. It's perfect."

"Now... My boys call each other by their last name, so I imagine you've gotten used to your fake last name, Ramos, in case someone talks to you."

"Yes. I'm also used to my fake name. No problem."

He nodded, satisfied.

"Perfect. Now, come on, let's try out some equipment."

I felt strangely excited to start a human job. I was going to do my best. I saw they had everything stored on their computers. It was very different from my town.

Max let me use some exercise machines and was impressed by the weight I could handle.

After giving instructions, he made us all go out to the field. From what I understood, he had already talked about me with them.

The men took turns to see who could knock me down, but they couldn't land a single blow. They chatted, still wondering if I was real. Some saw me as a dangerous animal that was not caged, and others saw me as a new challenge.

I smiled sideways with some satisfaction and recognized those who had prey characteristics. Luckily, they were very few. Good.

They came in groups of four and attacked me. It didn't take me long to push them away and leave them on the ground, complaining in pain. Four more launched themselves. I threw one to the side with a light punch, took the other by the arm, and used his momentum to turn and throw him against the one approaching from behind. The fourth gasped and turned around.

Max laughed. He liked to see his men suffer. The morning passed quickly, and later, the men retired.

"Hey, savage," Max called, smiling as if he was planning something. "I have something that's more in line with your level."

And that excited me, too.

He positioned me at the beginning of a strange track. He said it was an obstacle course and went towards a control panel.

"You'll find some human mannequins," he warned. "I want you to kill them. Be lethal. Of course, those aren't alive, but I want to see a lot of evolved action."

I nodded and got ready. He gave the signal, and I bolted.

I liked running fast. Flames erupted from the ground, and I jumped, dodging them. I heard a gunshot and ducked, avoiding a cannonball. Wow. That was close. I ran uphill through a mountain of tires in record time, and on the way down, I saw one of the mannequins Max mentioned. I lunged and hit it so hard that it crashed into pieces.

I continued and dodged some large spheres. One almost hit me, but I knocked it away, realizing it was filled with pebbles. Another cannonball sent me tumbling to the ground, and I launched myself at one of the last two mannequins. Orion's grueling workouts came back to my mind.