Duties

“Kanda! I saw that!” The speaker overhead crackled.

The tall dark haired young man glared at it. He held a brown tube in his hand as if it were a sword. Before him, his coworker was bent over. The small, pale kid was easy enough to get along with, Kanda supposed. Yet, he enjoyed pranks. Manly pranking Kanda, who didn’t necessarily enjoy them all that much.

Kanda was about to spank the other male with he tube, an evil grin on his handsome face. Now his plan had been ruined. Of course it was due to the night security guard.

“Dumb ass rabbit! Get out here so I can beat you like the red headed step child you are!” Kanda yelled out in his rage.

The speaker laughed at him in an eerie crackling way.

“I’m not a step child!” it crowed.

“Stupid ass for brains bunny!” Kanda muttered.

His pale coworker stood up. Red eyes took in the sight of Kanda, with tube in hand. He eyed the tall muscular man. A sparky grin curved over the light pink lips. Honestly everything about this kid was muted somehow. Everything, but the scar on his face, the brightness in his eyes, and his overlapped personality. Kanda huffed.

“One day Short stack!” He muttered turning away. He tossed the package into the pile of outgoing mail for the next day.

“Kanda, you know you can’t out wit Lavi!” the pale teen giggled.

Kanda only tsked. He marched back to his forklift. He had a truck to load up. As he climbed aboard the equipment, his gaze went back to that smiling face. Allen Walker wasn’t like any one the dark brooding man had ever met. For one, the kid talked all the time, but he never said anything.

Like, how did he get that scar? Why was his arm burned so oddly? What had his past been like? These were the things Kanda wished to know about him, but he had no idea how to ask.

Lavi would know. Kanda growled as he shoved the key into the ignition turning the rumbling machine on. Lavi was just as out going, kind and personable as the pale little imp who had captured Kanda’s thoughts.

It had only been a few short months that the pale kid had started working with them. Kanda recalled the day Komui called them all together. It was a late fall day, just before Halloween. Which meant, working in a warehouse that shipped goods of all kinds out to several countries, they were entering their busy time, the holidays.

They always got an influx of new workers this time of year. By the new year, most had left. They were either let go, or couldn’t handle the work load. Some just couldn’t deal with working over nights. For Kanda it was the best part of the job. They didn’t have to deal with too many higher ups. He could do his job with the small group of people he had come to rely on.

“Alright, we are getting several new workers on the overnight shift.” Komui, the over night manager called out.

“Starting tomorrow night, my sweet baby sister Lenalee Lee will be joining our ranks. None of you are to look at her, let alone talk to her. She will be my personal assistant.  You will take whatever she says as if it came from me.” Komui insisted.