John 1:24-28: Whose Sandal I Am Not Worthy to Untie

A study of John 1:24-28

"(Now they had been sent from the Pharisees.) They asked him, "Then why are you baptizing, if you are neither the Christ, nor Elijah, nor the Prophet?" John answered them, "I baptize with water, but among you stands one you do not know, even he who comes after me, the strap of whose sandal I am not worthy to untie." These things took place in Bethany across the Jordan, where John was baptizing."

‭‭John‬ ‭1‬:‭24‬-‭28‬ ‭ESV‬‬

Definitions of the original language in the context of this passage:

-Baptizing: "baptizō", "βαπτίζω"; verb - to submerge; to administer the rite of ablution, to baptize.

-Worthy: "axios", "ἄξιος"; adjective - of one who has merited anything worthy; both in a good and bad sense.

-Bethany: "Bēthania", "Βηθανία"; proper locative noun - Bethany = "house of dates" or, "house of misery" a village at the Mount of Olives, about two miles (3 km) from Jerusalem, on or near the normal road to Jericho; a town or village on the east bank of the Jordan, where John was baptizing.

Observation/Summary(short explanation of what the passage says in your own words):

This passage begins by clarifying these Jewish priests and Levites were sent from the "Pharisees." They asked John the Baptist why he was baptizing if he was not the Christ, Elijah or the Prophet. John the Baptist answered them somewhat cryptically saying he baptized with water, but someone greater was coming after him who he was not even worthy to untie the sandal of.

Implication (what does this mean to us):

The apostle John clarifies the Jews who came to question John the Baptist (JB) were sent by the Pharisees. The Pharisees were a powerful group among the religious leaders in Israel. They wielded great influence, brought in many extra-Biblical, or in other words, man made traditions and rules to lay on the people, and they enforced these rules tenaciously. They were particularly jealous of the power they wielded and did not welcome any authority which challenged their own, even God ordained authority.

The idea of baptism was also not new to people. Gentiles who wanted to become worshippers of Yahweh would undergo a ceremonial cleansing of baptism as a sign of their repentance, and Jews were familiar with certain forms of ceremonial cleansing. After determining JB was neither the Christ (Messiah), Elijah, or the "Prophet" foretold in Deuteronomy 18:15, they asked why he was baptizing people, particularly, Jewish people. Probably they were most concerned with what authority he had, if any, because their own authority and power was what they were concerned with for the most part. In their understanding, baptism was only a ceremonial cleansing for Gentiles (non-Jews) who wanted to convert from paganism and worship Yahweh. It was not something God's chosen people had to undergo. From the perspective of the Pharisees, and many Jews of the time, it was insulting to say Jewish people needed cleansing of sin just as much as the Gentiles. So, seeing all this, they likely saw an insult and a challenge to their authority.

JB was not one of the prophesied figures the Pharisees asked about, but the water baptism he performed was the fulfillment of his calling. This baptism was not able to cleanse a person of sin, that would come only through Jesus and the baptism of the Holy Spirit. JB's water baptism was a humble acknowledgement of sin, and an expression of willingness to repent and be made clean in preparation for the coming of the Messiah, who would Himself bring an eternal cleansing of sin. JB's baptism was meant to prepare the way for the One who was coming. It had nothing to do with JB himself.

JB spoke of the One who would soon come in very lofty terms saying, "but among you stands one you do not know, even he who comes after me, the strap of whose sandal I am not worthy to untie." With this statement he communicated the One he was preparing the way for was already among the people, but they did not yet know who He was. More than that, JB says he was not even worthy to untie the sandals of the coming One. Untying sandals was the job fulfilled by the lowliest servant. This was a task considered by Rabbis to be too low for even their own disciples, or students to perform. But JB is saying he, in comparison to the One who was already there and not yet revealed, was too low or not even worthy to perform this lowly task. This was quite a statement. In light of this statement, the washing of the disciple's feet by Jesus is all the more remarkable (John 13). Our Lord, whose sandal we are not worthy to untie, left the splendor of heaven, took on human flesh, came to wash our feet, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness by the shedding of His own blood.

All this happened in "Bethany across the Jordan, where John was baptizing." This is a place of great significance. This is the place where Israel first crossed over the Jordan river which the Lord parted for them, as they went in to conquer the promised land (Joshua 3:14-17).

Application (How does this change how I think, act and pray?):

From this passage we gain a better understanding of the majesty of Jesus and the greatness of His humility. It is true that neither John the Baptist nor any of us are worthy to untie the sandals from Jesus feet, let alone be made children of God, yet He came to wash our feet (John 13:1-20). If our glorious and loving Savior has loved and served us in this humble way, we ought to practice this same humility in our service to Him and others.

This knowledge should also cause us to pray prayers of thanksgiving to the Creator and Sustainer of the universe for His loving, gracious and humble condescension to be the Mediator between sinful man and righteous God. Because of His incredible humility, all who repent and place their faith in Him will be cleansed of all unrighteousness and made children of God.

Self Reflection:

Do I see the greatness of Jesus in the same way as John the Baptist?

How does my understanding of my own unworthiness and Jesus' love for me affect my love for Him and my understating of His character?

How can I grow in this Christ-like humility demonstrated by John the Baptist in this passage and by Jesus Himself in John 13?

#WorthyIsTheLamb #JesusChristisLord #love #faith #biblestudy