John 6:10-15: Jesus Feeds Over 5,000 People

Jesus Feeds Over 5,000 People

A Study of John 6:10-15

"Jesus said, "Have the people sit down." Now there was much grass in the place. So the men sat down, about five thousand in number. Jesus then took the loaves, and when he had given thanks, he distributed them to those who were seated. So also the fish, as much as they wanted. And when they had eaten their fill, he told his disciples, "Gather up the leftover fragments, that nothing may be lost." So they gathered them up and filled twelve baskets with fragments from the five barley loaves left by those who had eaten. When the people saw the sign that he had done, they said, "This is indeed the Prophet who is to come into the world!" Perceiving then that they were about to come and take him by force to make him king, Jesus withdrew again to the mountain by himself."

John 6:10-15 (ESV)

Definitions of the original language in the context of this passage:

-Jesus: "Ἰησοῦς", "Iēsous"; noun, nominative, singular, masculine | proper name - Jesus, Jehoshua; Jesus = "Yahweh is salvation"; Jesus, the Son of God, the Saviour of mankind, God incarnate.

-Sit Down: "ἀναπεσεῖν", "anapesein"; verb, aorist, active, infinitive | substantival infinitive - sit down, recline at table, sit back.

-When He Had Given Thanks: "εὐχαριστήσας", "eucharistēsas"; verb, aorist, active, participle, singular, nominative, masculine | antecedent participle - give thanks (to God); especially the giving of thanks customary at the beginning of a feast, or in general before eating.

-He Distributed Them: "διέδωκεν", "diedōken"; verb, aorist, active, indicative, third person, singular | finite verb - distribute, give.

-They Had Eaten Their Fill: "ἐνεπλήσθησαν", 'eneplēsthēsan"; verb, aorist, passive, indicative, third person, plural | finite verb - to fill up, to take one's fill, satisfy, satiate.

-Gather Up: "Συναγάγετε", "Synagagete"; verb, aorist, active, imperative, second person, plural | finite verb - gather together, assemble, collect.

-Filled: "ἐγέμισαν", "egemisan"; verb, aorist, active, indicative, third person, plural | finite verb - to fill, fill full.

-Baskets: "κοφίνους", "kophinous"; noun, accusative, plural, masculine | direct object - a basket, wicker basket.

-The Sign: "σημεῖον", "sēmeion"; noun, accusative, singular, neuter | direct object of the dependent clause - sign miracle; of miracles and wonders by which God authenticates the men sent by him, or by which men prove that the cause they are pleading is God's.

-The Prophet: "ὁ προφήτης","ho prophētēs "; noun, nominative, singular, masculine | predicate nominative - prophet; In The New Testament: one who, moved by the Spirit of God and hence, his organ or spokesman, solemnly declares to men what he has received by inspiration, especially future events, and in particular such as relate to the cause and kingdom of God and to human salvation. The title is applied to: a. the O. T. prophets, b. John the Baptist, c. That illustrious prophet whom the Jews (apparently on the ground of Deuteronomy 18:15) expected to arise just before the Messiah's advent, d. the Messiah Himself, and other groups as well (See Thayer's Greek Lexicon for more).

-Perceiving: "γνοὺς", "gnous" (derivative of ginōskō); verb, aorist, active, participle, singular, nominative, masculine | adverbial participle - know, understand, perceive, have knowledge of.

-Take [Him] By Force: "ἁρπάζειν", "harpazein"; verb, present, active, infinitive | complementary infinitive - snatch away, take away, seize, carry off by force.