John 3:1-3: Only The Born Again Will See God's Kingdom

Only The Born Again Will See God's Kingdom

A study of John 3:1-3

"Now there was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews. This man came to Jesus by night and said to him, "Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher come from God, for no one can do these signs that you do unless God is with him." Jesus answered him, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.""

‭‭John‬ ‭3‬:‭1‬-‭3‬ ‭ESV‬‬

Definitions of the original language in the context of this passage:

-Pharisees: "Pharisaios", "Φαρισαῖος"; masculine noun - A leading Jewish sect started after the return from exile. They sought for distinction and praise by the observance of external rites and by the outward forms of piety, such as ablutions, fastings, prayers, and alms-giving; and, comparatively negligent of genuine piety, they prided themselves on their fancied good works. They held strenuously to a belief in the existence of good and evil angels, and to the expectation of a Messiah; and they cherished the hope that the dead, after a preliminary experience either of reward or of penalty in Hades, would be recalled to life by him and be requited each according to his individual deeds. In opposition to the usurped dominion of the Herods and the rule of the Romans, they stoutly upheld the theocracy and their country's cause, and possessed great influence with the common people. According to Josephus (Antiquities 17, 2, 4) they numbered more than 6,000. They were bitter enemies of Jesus and his cause; and were in turn severely rebuked by him for their avarice, ambition, hollow reliance on outward works, and affectation of piety in order to gain notoriety (Thayer's Greek Lexicon).

-Nicodemus: "Nikodēmos", "Νικόδημος"; proper masculine name - Nicodemus = 'conqueror'; A member of the Sanhedrin who took the part of Jesus.

-A Ruler: "archōn", "ἄρχων"; masculine noun - a ruler, commander, chief, leader; Of the members of the Jewish Sanhedrin.

-Came: "erchomai", "ἔρχομαι"; verb - to come from one place to another.

-Rabbi: "Rabbi", "ῥαββί"; masculine noun - a title used by the Jews to address their teachers (and also honor them when not addressing them).

-We Know: "eidō", "εἴδω"; verb - it is well known, acknowledged.

-From: "apo", "ἀπό"; preposition - of origin, of the place whence anything is, comes, befalls, is taken.

-God: "Theos", "θεός"; masculine noun - spoken of the only and true God.

-A Teacher: "didaskalos", "διδάσκαλος"; masculine noun - of those who by their great power as teachers drew crowds about them: of Jesus.

-With: "meta", "μετά"; preposition - the phrase is used of God, if he is present to guide and help one.

-Said: "legō", "λέγω"; verb - to speak to one.

-Answered: "apokrinomai", "ἀποκρίνομαι"; verb - to give an answer to a question proposed.

-Truly: "amēn", "ἀμήν"; particle indeclinable - An adverb by which something is asserted or confirmed; at the beginning of a discourse, surely, of a truth, truly; so frequent in the discourses of Christ in the gospels. The repetition of the word (ἀμὴν ἀμήν), employed by John alone in his Gospel (twenty-five times), has the force of a superlative, most assuredly.

-Is Born: "gennaō", "γεννάω"; verb - metaphorically: peculiarly, in the Gospel and First Epistle of John, of God conferring upon men the nature and disposition of his sons, imparting to them spiritual life, i. e. by his own holy power prompting and persuading souls to put faith in Christ and live a new life consecrated to himself.