John 5:10-14: Jesus Tells a Man to Stop Sinning

A study of John 5:10-14

"So the Jews said to the man who had been healed, "It is the Sabbath, and it is not lawful for you to take up your bed." But he answered them, "The man who healed me, that man said to me, 'Take up your bed, and walk.'" They asked him, "Who is the man who said to you, 'Take up your bed and walk'?" Now the man who had been healed did not know who it was, for Jesus had withdrawn, as there was a crowd in the place. Afterward Jesus found him in the temple and said to him, "See, you are well! Sin no more, that nothing worse may happen to you.""

‭‭John‬ ‭5‬:‭10‬-‭14 ‭ESV‬‬

Definitions of the original language in the context of this passage:

-Jews: "Ἰουδαῖοι", "Ioudaioi"; adjective, nominative, plural, masculine - Jewish as respects birth, race, religion; a Jew; in John 5:10: Those who (not only at Jerusalem, but also in Galilee, cf. John 6:41, 52) opposed his (John's) divine Master (Jesus) and his Master's cause — especially the rulers, priests, members of the Sanhedrin, Pharisees — he does not hesitate to style οἱ Ἰουδαῖοι, since the hatred of these leaders exhibits the hatred of the whole nation toward Jesus.

-The Sabbath: "Σάββατόν", "Sabbaton"; noun, nominative, singular, neuter - the seventh day of each week which was a sacred festival on which the Israelites were required to abstain from all work.

-Who Had Been Healed (v.10): "τεθεραπευμένῳ", "tetherapeumenō"; verb, perfect, passive, participle, singular, dative, masculine - to heal, cure, restore to health.

-Lawful: "ἔξεστίν", "exestin"; verb, present, active, indicative, third person, singular - lawful, allowed, permitted.

-Take Up (v.10): "ἆραι", "arai"; verb, aorist, active, infinitive - to take upon oneself and carry what has been raised; to carry.

-Bed: "κράβαττον", "krabatton", noun, accusative, singular, masculine - a pallet, camp bed (a rather simple bed holding only one person).

-Who Healed (v.11): "ὑγιῆ", "hygiē"; adjective, accusative, singular, masculine - to make one whole, to restore him to health; of a man who is sound in body.

-Who Had Been Healed (v.13): "ἰαθεὶς", "iatheis"; verb, aorist, passive, participle, singular, nominative, masculine - to cure, heal.

-Jesus: "Ἰησοῦς", "Iēsous"; noun, nominative, singular, masculine - Jesus = "Yahweh is salvation"; the Son of God, the Savior of mankind, God incarnate.

-Sin: "ἁμάρτανε", "hamartane"; verb, present, active, imperative, second person, singular - to wander from the law of God, violate God's law, sin.

Observation/Summary (short explanation of what the passage says in your own words):

After Jesus healed a man who had been disabled for 38 years, the Jewish leaders confronted the healed man and said it was unlawful for him to carry his sleeping mat around on the Sabbath. The man told them that "the man" who healed him had said to pick up his mat and walk, but he did not know his name because Jesus had slipped away quietly as a crowd began to form in response to the miraculous healing. Later, Jesus saw the man in the temple and told him not to sin anymore so that nothing worse would happen to him.

Implication (what does this mean to us):

In the preceding verses we are given an eyewitness account of one of the many miraculous healings performed by Jesus. After coming to Jerusalem with His disciples, Jesus healed a man who had been disabled for 38 years by simply saying, "Get up, take up your bed, and walk." John the gospel writer then chose to end the account of this healing in verse 9 by telling us, "Now that day was the Sabbath." This piece of information is important for us to understand the ensuing controversy.