John 2:11-12: Jesus Came to Manifest His Glory

Jesus Came to Manifest His Glory

A study of John 2:11-12

"This, the first of his signs, Jesus did at Cana in Galilee, and manifested his glory. And his disciples believed in him. After this he went down to Capernaum, with his mother and his brothers and his disciples, and they stayed there for a few days."

‭‭John‬ ‭2‬:‭11‬-‭12‬ ‭ESV‬‬

Definitions of the original language in the context of this passage:

-First (Beginning): "archē", "ἀρχή"; feminine noun - of the beginning of a thing.

-of His Signs: "sēmeion", "σημεῖον"; neuter noun - a sign, prodigy, portent, i.e. an unusual occurrence, transcending the common course of nature; of miracles and wonders by which God authenticates the men sent by him, or by which men prove that the cause they are pleading is God's.

-Cana: "Kana", "Κανά"; proper locative noun - Cana = "place of reeds", a village in Galilee about 5 miles (8 km) NW from Nazareth.

-Galilee: "Galilaia", "Γαλιλαία"; proper locative noun - Galilee = 'circuit', the name of a region of northern Palestine, bounded on the north by Syria, on the west by Sidon, Tyre, Ptolemais and their territories and the promontory of Carmel, on the south by Samaria and on the east by the Jordan. It was divided into Upper Galilee and Lower Galilee.

-Manifested: "phaneroō", "φανερόω"; verb - to make manifest or visible or known what has been hidden or unknown, to manifest, whether by words, or deeds, or in any other way.

-Glory: "doxa", "δόξα"; feminine noun - the absolutely perfect inward or personal excellence of Christ; of which majesty He gave tokens in the miracles He performed.

-Disciples: "mathētēs", "μαθητής"; masculine noun - a learner, pupil, disciple; but especially the 12 apostles.

-Believed: "pisteuō", "πιστεύω" verb - to have a faith directed unto, believing or in faith to give oneself up to, Jesus.

-Capernaum: "Kapharnaoum", "Καφαρναούμ"; proper locative noun - Capernaum = 'village of comfort'; a flourishing city of Galilee situated on the western shore of the Sea of Galilee or Lake of Gennesaret, near the place where the Jordan flows into the lake.

-Mother: "Mētēr", "μήτηρ"; feminine noun - a mother.

-Brothers (And Sisters): "Adelphos", "ἀδελφός"; masculine noun - In John 2:12, as in Matthew 12:46-47, the brothers and sisters of Jesus, born of Mary and Joseph. This word denotes blood relation between Jesus and His brothers and sisters who were born of His mother Mary, and earthly but not biological father, Joseph.

Observation/Summary (short explanation of what the passage says in your own words):

The changing of water into wine was the first sign or miracle Jesus performed, and He did it at a wedding in Cana in Galilee. In doing this He manifested or, made known His glory as the preexistent, all creating Word John wrote of in chapter one. In performing this miracle He revealed His power over all of time and space by changing the water into good wine simply by willing it to be so. Having seen this sign of His Divinity, the disciples believed in Him. After this event took place, Jesus went down to Capernaum with His mother Mary, His brothers and sisters who were born of His mother Mary and Joseph, and His disciples.

Implication (what does this mean to us):

"This," meaning the changing of water into wine, was the first sign or in other words, miracle Jesus performed at the beginning of His public ministry. John records 7 of Jesus' miracles in this gospel for the purpose of convincing those who read it that Jesus is the Son of God. Jesus performed many more signs (John 20:30-31), and they were done for the purpose of proving He is the Son of God who has authority over all of time and space. And it is significant that Jesus' first miracle is one of transformation or we might also say "conversion". He did not come to abolish the Law and the prophets. He came to fulfill the Law and transform culture, systems and lives. The old Jewish rites of purification, which is what the water jars used in this instance were for, ceremonies and sacrificial system were all about to be radically transformed.