Chapter 1

Here I was, just like any other night. I leaned against the bonnet of my British racing green Eunos Roadster, gazing up at the winding hill. A lit cigarette dangled from my fingers, and my eyes were fixated on the occasional car that dared to traverse these roads at the unearthly hour of four in the morning.

Late September had arrived, and the air carried a subtle chill, with a gentle breeze causing the leaves to dance through the air. I held my cigarette, twirling it between my fingers, all the while keeping a close eye on the road.

The melodies from my car's interior still seeped out through the slightly cracked window as I took a step away for a smoke. I couldn't help but notice how different the atmosphere was tonight.

My gaze finally shifted away from the road, and I drew in a deep breath. Winter was looming on the horizon, and I was determined to make the most of these moments before the colder weather encroached on my automotive adventures.

Then, I heard the unmistakable rumble of an approaching engine. A yellow FD zipped past, its intentions clear – a late-night practice run on Akina, most likely in preparation for an upcoming race. I inhaled from my cigarette and, moments later, another car drifted into view. It was difficult to make out, but the grace of its drifts and the barely discernible pop-up headlights signaled a masterful driver. A soft smile played on my lips, and I whispered to myself, "Ah..."

As much as I adored racing, I was primarily a spectator in the realm of street racing. My Eunos had its limits, and I wasn't keen on pushing it against faster opponents. Yet, I couldn't resist the atmosphere. So, I continued to practice. Sometimes, in my mind, I'd imagine being challenged by another racer, racing them in spirit as I practiced my downhill maneuvers, reveling in the thrill of the chase.

The night air was alive with the distant roars of engines, echoing through the hills like the ghosts of countless races. I watched those elusive cars disappear into the dark, weaving their stories with each perfect drift and hairpin turn.

The concept of racing had always been a paradox for me. I was bound by my love for it, yet restrained by the limitations of my faithful Eunos. It was as if the thrill of the race lived in my heart but could only be unleashed in my dreams, or in those solitary moments on this hill.

Taking a final drag from my dwindling cigarette, I flicked the glowing ember into the darkness, watching it dance for a moment before fading. The music from my car inside beckoned me, tempting me to get back in and chase the night, to prove myself in the world where speed and precision reigned supreme. But the chill of the wind on my face, the tranquil scene around me, held me captive for a few more moments.

Winter was approaching, and soon these roads would be covered in snow, and the Eunos would be tucked away, waiting for the thaw of spring. But until then, I would savor these late-night rendezvous with the road, the distant echoes of racers, and the ethereal dance of leaves in the breeze.

As I stood there, staring into the night, I felt a strange sense of contentment. The world of racing was ever-present in my life, not just on the asphalt but in the stillness of the night, in the memories of races witnessed, and in the dreams of races yet to come. It was in the whispers of the wind and the rumble of passing cars, a part of me that would never fade, a love that would never wane.

I climbed back into the driver's seat of my Eunos, the engine coming to life with a soft growl, reassuring me of its readiness for another exhilarating run. I sighed softly, checking the time once more. These sleepless nights were taking their toll, particularly with it being my final year of school. It was hard not to question the purpose of my efforts. I wasn't a prodigious scholar, but I consistently earned good grades. Balancing my studies with a social life had always been manageable, but lately, I couldn't shake the feeling of aimlessness, not knowing what I wanted to do after school.