Chapter 23

After persistent requests, I reluctantly agreed to meet Itsuki. Instead of continuing my self-imposed isolation, he had bombarded me with messages, which I guiltily ignored to avoid snapping at him. Here I was, driving alongside him. Itsuki spoke highly of a girl named Kazumi in those messages, claiming she taught him to drift and was more helpful than Takumi. Although I didn't know them personally, I trusted his judgment. As he went on about the night he spent with her, his blushing cheeks and dilated pupils revealed the depth of his feelings. So, I listened, my eyes mostly on the road, occasionally glancing at him when he gestured animatedly or repeated my name while sharing something cool about her. He even asked if he could show me his drifts, to which I nodded and replied with minimal words. For some reason, on this day, the desire to be with someone didn't sit well with me.

Despite Itsuki's enthusiasm and efforts to share his experiences, I found myself disconnected from the conversation. The rhythm of the road beneath us seemed to drown out his words, and a subtle discomfort lingered in the air. As he continued to express his excitement, my mind wandered, contemplating why I had chosen to step out of my isolation.

We reached our destination, and Itsuki eagerly invited me to witness his impressive drifts. Trying to shake off the unease, I agreed halfheartedly. The roar of the engines and the screeching tires echoed around us as Itsuki showcased his skills. Even though I appreciated the spectacle, my mind remained preoccupied with my own internal struggles.

After the display, Itsuki asked, "What do you think Y/N?" I forced a smile, appreciating his efforts but unable to fully engage. The void within me persisted, leaving me questioning the purpose of this encounter.

I smiled slightly and nodded, "Great skills, Itsuki. Although," I moved his hands into a different position on the steering wheel, "you're tensing up when you're steering. If you relax yourself, you will see such a difference." I bent the joint on his elbow, helping him relax ever so slightly. He looked at me as he followed my lead and bent his elbows to test it out.

"But then, I don't have a good grip on the wheel," he squinted, trying to figure out what I was talking about. I moved my hands to a pretend steering wheel in front of me, first pretending to drift with straight arms. "Can you see he's restricted? He's struggling to steer as much as he'd like to." I then bent his arms and tried again, "But now, he's able to freely move. Can't you see?" I looked at him, and his eyes lit up as he admired my movements. "Oh, I see," he moved his hands to the proper position on the steering wheel, "like this?" I nodded in agreement with him.

We spent some time with him continuing to show off as I laughed softly towards him. He would cheer and ask me if I saw what he did several times until I agreed and patted his head, assuring him that I did indeed see him and he's doing very well. But we were interrupted by Itsuki's phone ringing. He moved quickly and picked up the phone immediately, "Helloooo~," he cooed softly, and I assumed it was the girl he had been speaking of. Then his expression changed, "TAKUMI?!? NO OF COURSE NOT," his face turned red in embarrassment as he looked away.

"I-I just..." he mumbled softly, keeping his eyes away from me as I laughed loudly behind him. "Y-Y/n? Yeah, I'm with her just now," he mumbled quietly, his eyes going back to me as he whispered, "Takumi needs help." I leaned close to listen to the call as he pushed me away, "Personal SPACE!" he shouted while keeping his phone to his ear and occasionally speaking, "Yup," "Yep," "Sounds good," as he hung up.

"Takumi asked if we can meet at your garage?" I cocked my head as if to question him and nodded nervously. God, if he's ruined the 86 already, I will kill him. I forced Itsuki out of the driver's seat as I climbed into my allocated seat, speeding off towards my work as soon as Itsuki got in the passenger seat.