Chapter 13

After the race, I decided to keep a low profile, steering clear of Akina and trying to avoid the car scene altogether. Instead of going to school, I threw myself into work, hustling to make some money under the radar. My dad had no idea about my extracurricular activities, and I intended to keep it that way. My goal was to change my identity, at least temporarily, until the whispers about the mysterious racer on Akina faded away.

Days turned into weeks, and I managed to avoid the familiar faces and racing enthusiasts. It seemed like my plan was working until the grapevine caught up with me. Kai, my brother, got wind of my race, leading to another heated argument.

-

Kai's eyes bore into mine, and a heavy silence hung in the air as he broke the news. "I found out, Y/N. You can't keep this from me. Dad will lose it when he finds out you're risking everything for some adrenaline rush."

My heart sank, the weight of his words hitting me harder than I expected. I bit my lip, fighting the urge to confess, but Kai's disappointment fueled my guilt. "Kai, I had it under control. I wasn't going to do anything reckless."

He scoffed, frustration etched on his face. "Under control? Y/N, street racing is never under control. Dad trusted you to stay away from this. What were you thinking?"

I shifted uncomfortably, avoiding eye contact. "I just wanted to prove that I could handle myself out there. It's not as bad as you're making it sound."

Kai's expression hardened. "Not as bad? You're risking our family's stability. Dad is working hard to provide for us, and you're out there jeopardizing everything. It's irresponsible."

A knot tightened in my stomach as I tried to deflect the blame. "I can handle it, Kai. You don't have to worry so much. I'm not a kid anymore."

He sighed, frustration giving way to a deeper concern. "Y/N, this isn't about age. It's about responsibility. You promised Dad we wouldn't get involved in this again, and you broke that promise."

I clenched my fists, feeling the weight of my actions. "I can't live my life in constant fear of disappointing Dad. I need to pursue my own path, even if it means taking risks."

Kai's gaze softened, but the disappointment lingered. "This isn't the way to prove yourself. You're just putting yourself and our family at risk."

-

Frustrated, I sought refuge with Uncle Yashi, avoiding the tension at home. I'd heard that Kai had returned to Tochigi to be with our mother, but the intricacies of our parents' relationship were a convoluted tale in itself.

Amidst the chaos of emotions and attempts to distance myself from the racing world, I found solace in the garage with Uncle Yashi. Our days were filled with the hum of engines, the clanking of tools, and the occasional banter with Yuri. He was teaching me the ropes of the trade, sharing his knowledge about cars and the intricate workings of the garage.

One day, as we tinkered with an engine, the familiar ding from the office announced a new customer. I wiped my hands on a rag, exchanging a glance with Yuri. Little did I know that this customer would become a catalyst, attempting to pull me back into the very world I was trying to escape.

Uncle Yashi strolled into the workshop and dropped a bombshell. "Some kid wants to speak to you, Nakazato." I looked up, panic coursing through me. "I'm not here," I declared, swiftly ducking behind the Volvo we were working on. Yuri, finding amusement in my reaction, burst into laughter. "Come on, Y/n. You speak so fondly of him," he teased. I shook my head, pleading with my eyes as I turned to Uncle Yashi. "Please, uncle, I cannot face him right now," I implored. He nodded in understanding and went to handle the visitor.