Chapter 8

Seated amidst the tools and lingering scent of paint in my workshop, my focus was on the rear quarter panel of the R32. I meticulously coaxed it back into shape, having popped it out, hammered, sanded, and applied a meticulous second layer of paint. As I waited for the paint to dry, Nakazato walked in, offering a comforting cup of tea. His remark about using the workshop on my day off led to a grateful acknowledgment.

"Nice of them to allow you to use the workshop on your day off," Nakazato mentioned as he took a seat next to me.

I took the cup from his hand and held it with both of mine. "Uncle Yashi is my top supporter in all of this. He will do anything to help me succeed," I smiled at the thought of my uncle and took a sip from the mug, keeping it in both my hands.

"Sorry it's so cold in here. Usually, when we're working, we get really hot, so we don't find the need for heaters. Since it's coming into winter, though, I think I need to pick up a portable heater," I apologized about the bitterness of the garage. Nakazato flailed his hand. "Don't be silly. My R32 never heats up. It only goes warm, and the AC is horrendous," he laughed as I looked at him questionably.

"If it was only the AC, I assume it would only need regassing, but both of them?" I thought for a second then piped up again. "Have you checked that the outside air temperature sensor is working?" he looked at me. I stood up, placing my cup of tea on the floor, and headed over to the front of the 32. Opening the bonnet of the car, I pointed down in front of the radiator. "Just in front of the radiator is an air temperature sensor. If we get something like," I hesitated and looked around the garage, a hairdryer would be perfect, but we don't have one in here. I headed over to Yuri's workbench and took his heat gun quickly. It's not a high-end model, so the lowest it goes to is 120 Fahrenheit, 49 Celsius. I plugged it into the wall and back over to the bonnet. "When I do this," I turn the gun on but at a distance where the sensor will only just be able to feel heat rather than it burning. "The gauge should go up," he walked over to me and observed me testing this.

The gauge didn't go up. Even with the immense amount of heat that the gun was producing, nothing. I smirked and placed the gun down. "Simple fix. I can order you a new sensor from Nissan; we get trade discount. Plus, it's better than getting one from a scrapyard. I don't want to cause any more issues," I've been talking a lot; he hasn't said a word since I started messing around with his sensor. Is he okay? Am I being too much?

-

Nakazato's perspective:

She's amazing. Seeing her at work like this, I could feel my cheeks heating up. With a simple comment about my heater, she was able to tell me what was wrong with it and how to fix it almost instantly. She... wow. I listened to her intently and forgot to speak myself.

"Is everything okay? Did I overwhelm you?" she asked, displaying her considerate nature. "No, not at all. It's just that I'm not used to someone being so knowledgeable about cars and willing to help," I smiled, hoping it would ease her. She smiled back. "I'll get that sensor ordered when I'm next in work. I hope you don't mind being cold for a few more days," she laughed softly. Her laughter was infectious. I let out a chuckle and shook my head. "I've dealt with it for so long; a few more days won't hurt," I admitted before heading back to my seating area. I watched her as she put the heat gun away and peered over my rear panel that sat on a stand. She's so cool.

"I think it's ready for a finishing coat," she spoke quietly as she brought out the spray gun, assessing the panel. "Did you hear Takumi was challenged to a gum tape death match?" I saw her look up through her eyelashes before shaking her head no. "Papa used to speak of them. Dangerous game he's playing," she started putting on the final coat as I watched her from afar, not wanting to interrupt her.