Chapter 22

The Evo race remained an unfulfilled chapter in my life, forgotten in the hustle of our fast-paced existence. Kai, my brother, later informed me that the police had intervened, shutting down the race site and sternly warning participants. Irohazaka's stringent laws, a constant since our youth, had kept us out of legal troubles, especially Kai, who managed to navigate the racing scene without attracting unwanted attention.

With races no longer part of my routine, I reverted to what I knew best—working on cars. The world of academia held no sway over me, having drifted from my thoughts during my stay with Uncle Yashi. Now back home, my focus shifted toward spending time with Kai and contemplating my future.

"I want to be a mechanic!" I boldly declared to my brother upon my recent return. His response was unexpectedly supportive, laughter resonating in the air as he tousled my hair. "You can be whatever you want," he affirmed, offering unwavering support devoid of arguments or criticism. Overwhelmed with gratitude, I shed tears, moved by the unconditional encouragement.

Yet, beneath the supportive exterior, Kai revealed a wish. "I wish you would stay a racer like me," he confessed. The dream of us becoming the new Takahashi brothers, a duo working together to enhance each other's skills, tugged at his heart. Aware of my limitations, I still embraced the challenge. We frequented the closed hills of Irohazaka, practicing tirelessly. Kai, in Dad's MR2, and me, maneuvering my roadster, created a tandem that stirred hope within me.

The realization lingered that Kai's efforts aimed to persuade me to stick to racing. Despite this, the shared moments felt genuine. Sometimes, it seemed as if it was for his benefit, yet I knew better. He was striving to make me happy, assisting me in navigating my decisions. These instances of support and camaraderie were too precious to take for granted, forming a foundation for my uncertain but hopeful future.

My interactions with Keisuke remained sporadic since my last visit, but each message he sent made my heart flutter. They were simple, mundane updates, akin to what one might hear from a passing acquaintance. Yet, occasionally, he would sprinkle in the most straightforward comments, transforming them into poetic lines directed solely at me. These messages became my personal poetry book, eliciting squeals and joyous kicks as I read them repeatedly. I kept this crush a secret, confiding only in Kai, reluctant to share my feelings about some boy with my brother—it felt too embarrassing.

However, as enchanting as my emotions were, there were nights on Irohazaka's peak where doubt crept in. I pondered, why didn't he message me more often? Perhaps I was being clingy, but the confusion lingered. I initiated the visits, I hid from his brother, yet the dynamics of our communication perplexed me. When I visited, I always wanted to talk to Ryosuke, but somehow, we consistently ended up in Keisuke's room. My knowledge of Ryosuke remained limited. I knew about the White Comet, witnessing him race years ago and acknowledging his potential. I had a sense of his growth over the years, feeling like I knew more about him than his own brother.

Choosing to stay home, I immersed myself in the familiar surroundings of our garage, surrounded by the scent of oil and the comforting hum of machinery. Kai's car, a project that had been waiting for my attention, took center stage. The metallic curves and intricate engine components seemed to beckon me, presenting a welcome diversion from the complexities of relationships.

As I tinkered with tools and delved into the intricacies of the car, I found solace in the rhythmic routine of repair work. The familiarity of the garage, coupled with the tangible progress I made on Kai's car, provided a grounding sense of purpose. Each twist of the wrench and diagnostic analysis felt like a step away from the uncertainties that had occupied my thoughts.