17

Jaq and I were in the kitchen together, back in her yard. She'd been to see Sully and was telling me what he said. "Right, so you meet him, hand over the bags, and it's all forgotten?" I asked, "He's giving you a pass?"

"Yes, like I said, he is," Jaq said, getting a little frustrated.

"What exactly did he say, though?"

Jaq sighed, "He said, if I give him his food back, I get a pass," She told me.

"Are you sure? He told me that he didn't trust you no more an-"

"Babe." Jaq cut me off, "He's giving me a pass. Okay?"

"Can he be trusted though?"

"Look," Jaq said and sighed, "I have to trust him. Aight? Cah if Sully wants me dead, I'm dead and there's nothin' I can do about it. Look, I know your scared, all right? But we just have to get through this shit."

I sighed and then Jaq's phone started ringing. "Yo," She said, holding it to her ear. I heard Kieron's voice but what he was saying was inaudible.

"Yeah, I'm good, bro. I'm good. Listen, don't worry about it. It's gonna get sorted out.... Yeah and it will be. No. This is on me. It's got fuck all to do with you... aight, listen, don't stress. I'm gonna sort it out. He's gonna get his food back tonight, all right?... A'ight, say less. I'ma see you inabit then. Love."

She put down her phone and had a confused expression. She didn't say anything. She just went to grab her coat. "Jaq, I love you," I said.

She put on her coat and grabbed her keys. She leaned over and kissed me softly, "I'll be home." She said. She grabbed the duffel bags of food and then left.

"Say it back," I whispered, but the door had already slammed shut.

•••

JAQ'S POV

We were meeting at the community centre at 8pm.I had driven to Summerhouse but parked slightly away. I grabbed the duffle bags from the boot and then walked towards the community centre. I looked up with confusion as a police helicopter went over my head but then continued walking. All I could hear was sirens.

Summerhouse was absolute madness. It started off as a peaceful protest but a police car must've hit a little girl playing football, which made everyone go crazy. Youts were smashing up cars, setting fires, yelling, riots, fireworks. I knew that if Aaliyah didn't have the baby and all this madness with me wasn't going on, then her and Romy would've been right smack down in the centre of it all.

"Oi," Dushane's voice came from behind me. I turned around and saw him with his hood up, then he came over. "That everything, yeah?"

"Yeah, it's all there," I told him, gripping the bags tightly.

"Better not be runnin' up your fuckin' mouth," He said, aggressively.

"I told you, I wanna make shit right," I said and then tried to walk away, towards the community centre.

"Yo, give me the bags."

"What?" I asked, with confusion, "What you doin', bruv?"

"'What am I doin'?' Give me the bags." He repeated.

"No, I gotta give it to Sully," I said, trying to push past him.

He grabbed my jacket, "Give me the fuckin' bags." He said.

"Are you fuckin' mad?" I spat, shoving him, "Get your hands off me."

Then, Dushane punched me, "Shut up, you eediat," He said. I yelped and fell to the ground due to the force and pain of the punch. He bent down and I groaned as he punched me again. "Fuckin' give me the fuckin' bags, man," He spat, grabbing the bags and running off.