Chapter 10: Duskclan

( Chappie 10!)

Pouncepaw P.O.V:

Pouncepaw was sitting on a rocky outcrop, watching the clouds passing by the mountain. The morning air was cool and fresh, and it felt invigorating against his fur. As he enjoyed the peaceful scenery, Moontail, his mentor, called out from inside the cave. Pouncepaw turned to face her and asked, "Yes, Moontail?" She replied, "I believe it's time for your assessment, Pouncepaw. You've been working hard, and I'm proud of you." Moontail's eyes glowed with pride as she spoke, and Pouncepaw felt a sense of accomplishment for all the effort he had put in, "Really? When?" Pouncepaw asked inquisitively. His friend Moontail had just informed him that he would be going on a hunting trip with several other apprentices. "Well, you are doing it with Beepaw, Leafpaw, Springpaw, and Lightpaw!" Moontail answered with a grin. Pouncepaw's heart swelled with excitement. He had been waiting for this moment for so long.

"But how are we going to do it?" Pouncepaw asked, his curiosity getting the best of him. "We are all the way up here!"

Moontail explained that he and some other warriors had recently discovered a short path that led to a small forest just around the mountain. Since no cats lived there, it was full of prey. Pouncepaw's eyes widened with excitement. This was going to be awesome!

Moontail led Pouncepaw to where the other apprentices were gathered. "What about Dovepaw?" Beepaw asked. "She is looking for herbs right now, but she'll do it later," Sunset informed them. "Aw, okay!" Beepaw said, looking slightly disappointed.

As Pouncepaw approached, Beepaw ran over to him and greeted him with a smile. "Hi Pouncepaw!" she said, her eyes sparkling with excitement. "Hi Beepaw! Are you excited for the test?" Pouncepaw asked, grinning back at her.

"I am, but I'm also a bit nervous," Beepaw admitted, his excitement tempered by anxiety.

"Don't worry," Pouncepaw encouraged him, "I'm sure you'll do amazing!"

"Thanks, you will too!" Beepaw replied, his confidence bolstered by Pouncepaw's words.

"Alright, listen up!" Berryhop, Lightpaw's mentor, said, capturing the apprentices' attention. "We will be back by dusk! So, if you didn't catch the correct amount of prey, you will fail and will have to try again tomorrow!" Berryhop warned in his usual stern voice. Pouncepaw didn't like Berryhop. He was way too strict and firm for his liking.

"Okay!" Lightpaw said happily, and Pouncepaw couldn't help but feel a twinge of envy. Lightpaw had a mentor who was strict but effective. Pouncepaw couldn't imagine having Berryhop as his mentor!

A group of cats consisting of Duskheart, Springpaw, Berryhop, Beepaw, Sunset, Whiteleap, Leafpaw, Moontail, and Pouncepaw were doing their apprentice assessment. They followed a winding path around the mountain until they finally reached the forest. "Here we are!" exclaimed Duskheart, who was responsible for keeping an eye on Springpaw. Berryhop was in charge of Lightpaw, Beepaw accompanied Sunset, and Whiteleap was leading Leafpaw. Moontail was focused on training Pouncepaw.

Moontail started by teaching Pouncepaw fighting skills. "Alright, Pouncepaw! First, let's start with blocking my attacks as fast as you can!" Moontail instructed. Pouncepaw quickly got into a defensive stance and blocked all of Moontail's attacks. "Good! Now, if I attack you from the side, what do you do?" Moontail asked. Pouncepaw was quick to react and jumped onto Moontail's back, causing her to fall. "Very good!" Moontail praised Pouncepaw. They spent some more time practising fighting and defence skills before moving on to hunting.

"Now, I want you to demonstrate the hunting crouch," Moontail instructed Pouncepaw. Pouncepaw got into position, but Moontail felt that he needed to improve the arch of his back. They worked on this for a while before it was time for the final challenge.

"For the final part, I want you to catch at least three pieces of prey! They have to be medium-sized, no smaller than a squirrel. That means no mice and no frogs!" Moontail said. Pouncepaw sighed, knowing that this was going to be a challenge. He set off into the forest, putting all of his newly learned skills to use. After some time, he was able to catch three pieces of prey, meeting the challenge that Moontail had set for him.

Pouncepaw walked through the forest, his eyes scanning the area for any signs of prey to see if he could catch some more. As he made his way deeper into the woods, he caught a glimpse of Beepaw, who was also on the hunt. Pouncepaw smiled and said to his fellow apprentice, "Hi Beepaw!" Beepaw turned to him and grinned, "Oh hi Pouncepaw! I see you also caught three pieces of prey!"

Excitedly, Pouncepaw held up the three pieces of prey that he had caught, feeling proud of himself. Beepaw too proudly held up his catch, and the two apprentices exchanged congratulations. "Yeah! Now, we can become apprentices together!" Pouncepaw said happily. Beepaw's eyes lit up with excitement, "YEAH!"

As the two apprentices chatted excitedly, Moontail and Sunset emerged from the bushes, having also caught their prey. "I see you two are done!" Moontail said, smiling at the two young cats. "Yeah, we are!" Beepaw replied, grinning from ear to ear.

"Good! Let's head back now!" Moontail said, and the group began returning to the safety of their cave camp. The sun was beginning to set, and the forest was quickly growing dark. They walked in silence, each lost in their thoughts, but all feeling proud of themselves for their successful assessment.

"All the cats that were old enough to catch their own prey gather for a meeting!". Lavenderstar and Mistystar called out to the apprentices who had passed their test that day.  Pouncepaw and Beepaw rushed over to join them, along with Leafpaw, Springpaw, and Lightpaw. Mistystar announced that some apprentices had passed their test, and Lavenderstar asked Beepaw to step forward.

Beepaw walked up to his leader, and Lavenderstar asked him if he was willing to serve their clan as a warrior, even if it meant risking his life. Beepaw answered with a, " Yes!"  and Sunset confirmed that she thought Beepaw was ready to become a warrior.

Lavenderstar then gave Beepaw his warrior name, Beeheart, because he was always kind and supportive to his clan members, no matter where they were. The cats chanted Beeheart's name until Lavederstar shushed them.

Lightpaw was next. Lavenderstar asked her if she was ready to serve their clan as a warrior, even if it meant risking her life. Lightpaw agreed and Berryhop confirmed that he thought Lightpaw was ready. Lavenderstar then gave Lightpaw her warrior name, Lightwhisker, because she could sense when something was near her and knew when her clanmates were feeling sad or angry. The cats chanted Lightwhisker's name three times.

Mistystar then called up Springpaw and asked her if she was ready to serve Duskclan as a warrior, even if it meant risking her life. Springpaw agreed, and Duskheart confirmed that she was ready. Mistystar gave Springpaw the name Springivy because she reminded Mistystar of the fallen leader Ivystar. The cats chanted Springivy's name three times again.

Next was Leafpaw. Mistystar asked her if she was ready to serve Duskclan as a warrior, even if it meant risking her life. Leafpaw answered in the affirmative, and Whiteleap confirmed that she thought Leafpaw was ready. Mistystar then gave Leafpaw her warrior name, Leafcinder, because she was always there for her clanmates, no matter what. The cats chanted Leafcinder's name three times.

Lastly, Pouncepaw was called up. Mistystar asked him if he was ready to serve Duskclan as a warrior, even if it meant risking his life. Pouncepaw answered yes, and Moontail confirmed that she thought he was ready. Mistystar then gave Pouncepaw his warrior name, Pouncefoot, because of how fast and strong he was on his feet. Pouncefoot felt super proud, as he was finally a warrior.