Chapter 1 London

It was a crispy, cold morning in London. The coal infused air fell down from the factories onto the people in the street and the icy cobbles clacked as horses hooves smashed down upon them. Snow and ice had settled onto the cobblestone and on top of the roofs, it was like the whole street was dusted with icing sugar. The air - had you smelt it - smelt like roasted chestnuts and mulled wine. All along the streets you could hear the sweet hymns of the carol singers and the loud bellows of the market sellers yelling something like 'fine goose buy your fine goose' or even 'roasted chestnuts get them while there fresh, roasted chestnuts'.

The people of London we're in better spirits than usual, you see it was Christmas the most festive, joyful time of the year. Men, women and children flocked onto the streets, on this particular afternoon Miss Lillian Brown happened upon a market street, on her way back from a dressmaker down the end of the market street. She was in quite a hurry; she was on her way back to her family's Manor House.

The loud market was quick to put a smile on Lillian's face even though she was already in good spirits from her recent visit to the dressmakers. She trod through the thick layers of snow in her red, ribbon tied boots and in good time arrived at the front door of the Brown estate.

Mrs Doyle the housekeeper was quick to open the door.
"Miss Brown come in, your mother in the drawing room" Mrs Doyle took Lillian's coat and hat, then walked off down the stairs to the kitchen.
Lillian walked to the drawing room, awaiting to tell her mother the good news. Lillian walked into the drawing room to find her mother embroidering.

At first her mother didn't even notice Lillian entering the room, but Lillian loudly coughed and was instantly acknowledged.

"Oh there you are, well what did you purchase at the dressmakers"

"Oh nothing, I didn't say I was going to make a purchase," Lillian said simply

"What on earth we're you doing then?"

"I got a job, an apprenticeship really but-"

"A job!" Her mother said her tone shifting

"Yes! Isn't it just wonderful"

"Quite the opposite, you're an unmarried woman no man will want you now"

"Well, I'm sure a man would very much want me if he understood -"

"I will hear no more of this nonsense, you will go back tomorrow and tell the dressmaker you will not be taking the apprenticeship. Now go up to your room and prepare yourself for tonight's ball."

Lillian couldn't even answer back all she could do was go to her room.
She quickly rushed up the stairs and lay mournfully on her bed.

Heather - Lillian's lady's maid - entered the room and found Lillian lying helplessly on her bed.
"My lady?" Heather asked hesitantly

"What!" Lillian wailed

"Shall I get you ready for the ball, it is in an hour my lady"

"Suppose I must" Lillian said dragging herself off the bed and sitting at her dressing table.

Heather began by getting the old cloth rags from the dresser and beginning to tie them into Lillian's hair.

"Do you think there's much point in these balls, Heather?" Lillian's asked

"Its not my place to say my lady" Heather said

"Truthfully between us, is there?" Lillian asked seeking a little comfort.

"I do believe so my lady, many new people to be acquainted with."

"Like men" Lillian said a nature of disgust in her voice as she slumped down into the table as Heather continued to tie the rags into Lillian's hair.

"We'll yes my lady"

"The only men I've met are pompous and arrogant, or old"

"I'm sure they aren't all like that my lady, I'm sure there are some lovely men, you'll find one someday I'm sure" Heather said

"I doubt it, dream men do not exist" Lillian finished
The rest of the time Lillian spent getting ready was in almost complete silence. She had nothing to say. Some -in fact most - girls of her status would have spent the entire evening dreaming of the men they could meet in the hall or simply practicing the steps to the dances. Lillian did neither she simply sat in an unemotional silence while Heather powdered her face and put on her white pearls.

Finally, Lillian made her way down the stairs. She was dressed in a flowing, lime green gown with frills around the shoulders and the waist line. Lillian walked uncomfortably and awkwardly down the staircase while her father, mother and older brothers watched disapprovingly.

"Yes, yes hurry up girl" her father said. Lillian came to the bottom of the staircase, Mrs Doyle helped the family put on their coats and hats, she handed Mr Brown his cane.

"We're just awaiting your sister, there is a fair chance she and Mr Mason will be well matched" Lillian's mother said proudly. Moments later Clara walked graciously down the staircase as if embodying exactly what Lillian should've done.

The family entered the carriage waiting outside. The outside has changed drastically now, the snow was mostly ice. The market was abandoned and the smells in the air were no longer sweet and warm but cold and dusty. The joyful and jolly people had vanished as if they'd never been there at all and the only cries she could hear were that anger and resentment.

This shook Lillian a little, the jolly market she had seen but a few hours prior was now gothic and eery. She got into the awaiting carriage crammed next to her joyful sister and youthful brothers before setting off.

Lillian spent the whole journey in complete silence; she had nothing to say. The only thing she wanted to say would've likely caused her mother more anger and given her father more reason to favor her sister. The others did talk however but all it was about was Clara's acquaintance to Mr Mason and how it could be greatly beneficial for everyone.

At last, the carriage parked outside the large hall, it was quite a sight. The ladies and young women were in the most spectacular dresses, all in luscious shades of blood-red, sage green - like Lillian - and many other vibrant shades. Their faces were pale with cream but not a sickly pale but a beautiful, angelic pale like snowflakes.

The men were also well-kept, hair either slicked back or simply neatly kept. They wore smart suits not as vibrant as the women dresses but equally spectacular.

Lillian's second-eldest brother was the first to step out of the carriage where he helped Clara step out. Clara's face lit up at the sight Lillian had only seen out of misty window. Lillian was helped out of the carriage by her elder brother, the married one. The family walked inside the hall.

The sight inside was even more gorgeous than the outside. The ball was in full swing, people were waltzing round the room while others stood with champagne brimming from the top of their glasses and joyful grins upon their faces. The room was brightly lit with a roaring fire in the far side and a gorgeous chandelier in the center.

Lillian's family immediately separated as soon as they entered the room. Lillian's father and elder brother went to see the Pembroke's in the corner. Lillian's mother and sister walked graciously over to the Masons and immediately struck up a conversation. Lillian's other brother went over to some ladies in the corner. Lillian was left alone, she decided her best chances were left with the piano, she could somewhat sing, and her fingers were fast moving and Swift on the keys.