Chapter 3 The Pembroke's

After the ball ended, the Browns retreated to their modest home and gathered in the drawing room, seeking comfort next to the cozy and welcoming fire.Lillian was there with her father, mother, younger brother, and sister. Lillain was the first to speak, and she wasn't in the mood to bother with meaningless talk.

"Why am I being sent away?" Lillian said daring not to make eye contact

"Lillain!" her mother said horrified at her daughter's bluntness.

"Don't worry, Fanny. She deserves to know." Lillain your being sent away, so we can invite the Masons to spend the Christmas period with us. If everything goes well your sister will be married on new year's day." her father explained calmly

"What does that have to do with James and I being sent away, we have the rooms and -"

"Because Lillain, we don't need to give Mr Mason any distractions." Her mother said

"But surley if he were to marry Lillain the result would be the same." Her brother added

Clara deserves to find love and walk down the aisle before anything else! She is the superior of the two girls, and if she gets married first, we will have ample time to secure an heir for the estate, for both the Masons and ourselves."Moreover," her mother concluded, "Lillain would be an unproductive wife until she abandons these nonsensical notions about work."

James left it at that; Lillain wasn't done, however.

"The ideas aren't ridiculed their forward, why should the Masons own the estate when I could run it just as if not more efficently"

"Absurd!" Her father barked "You're a woman, you know nothing of the world of work, and you never shall your duty is provided an heir to the estate, care for him and your husband. Get out of my sight"

With determination shining in her eyes, Lillian rose to her feet, stating firmly, "I will never marry! Just you wait and see, I'll prove you wrong." She then bravely strode out of the room, leaving behind not a trace of regret.

The next morning, to her dismay, Lillian's parents chose to ignore her presence. They had instructed the staff to serve her breakfast in her quarters and send her off without so much as a farewell. Heather woke her up having packed her things, Lillain finished putting on her bonnet, shoes and coat. Her brother was ready to go, and they were accompanied by Heather and James's manservant, Anthony.

Lillain and her brother were packed into one carriage while Heather and Anthony followed behind in another. Lillian's willingness to speak was evident, especially when it came to her younger brother, who she had the closest bond with in the entire family.

"What ever shall we do now?" she asked

"Enjoy Christmas of course" James said

"Yes obviously, however what shall we do about the card painting and the singing and the dancing?"

"You can still do all of that I'm confident."

"Yes, but it won't be the same will it?"

"Come on it will be jolly good fun, and besides you can meet all their children"

"I'm sure I have already, um Mrs Clark the eldest and John their youngest and don't they have another daughter my age?"

"Well that's three of them, the others are always away at boarding school."

"Other? We've seen them multiple times a year. I've never heard of these others."

Lillian and the other children were discussed many times, yet you were the only one who sat at the piano and never truly voiced your thoughts hem."

"You shouldn't spend the entire party focusing solely on girls either."

Their eldest children are Mrs. Clark, followed by twins Edward and Edith, they're your age. Additionally, they have another set of twins, Peggy and Beatrice, and their youngest son, John.

"Edith? Suppose you have this frivolous idea about us being friends"

"Why shouldn't you?"

"Why should we?"

"Why you are you so disagreeable, this morning". Lillain couldn't answer to that she simply didn't answer.

The last few minutes of the journey the pair could both see Pembroke hall before them. Lillian this time was the first to speak.

"Wow, just look at I'm certain that will be breathtaking on a card."

"Still in a bad mood?"

"W-what oh no, I'm confident this will be at least bearable perhaps even enjoyable"

In a matter of moments, the carriage came to a halt. James and Lillian, filled with awe, stood before the magnificent structure that was Pembroke Hall. Neither of them dared to speak, the hall itself was of magnificent size. It had several turrets and was dusted with snow. It was like a scene out of one of the fairy tale books Lillain loved to read.

"Lillian and James Brown, I presume" said a housekeeper.

"You presume correct, and you are" James said

"Mrs Farthing, housekeeper," she said

"Lovely, I assume you brought your staff?" Mrs Farthing asked politely

"Yes Heather and Anthony are following behind, ah there they are" Lillian said seeing the carraige.

"Ah yes I see, please do go inside the butler is waiting for you inside"

Lillian and James entered gracefully, each gracefully clutching their elegant suitcases. Inside they were greeted by the butler.

"Miss and Mr Brown, am I correct?"

"Yes" Lillain said

"Delightful to make your acquaintance." The butler said "My name is Mr Smith."

"Lovely" James said

"Very well, in a moment I'll show you to your rooms. Dinner is at seven however there will be a gathering in the drawing room at five."

"Very lovely," James said

"Right, just this way" the butler said walking up a grand staircase. Lillain and James trailed behind as they were guided through a seemingly endless corridor, eventually rounding a corner and arriving at the far end of the hall.They were shown to two rooms opposite sides of the corridor.

Lillian walked into her room, it wasn't too different to her own room. However, the bed had curtains on it. There was a roaring fire in the corner and there was a grand dresser and table in the far side. There was also a fold down desk in a spacious corner of the room and a large, leather chair by the fire.

Lillain immediately sat over by the fire and wrote a letter to her parents:

'Dear mother, father and Clara,

We've just arrived at Pembroke hall, and it all seems rather lovely. I'm convinced that painting the Christmas cards will be a most enjoyable activity. Perhaps I'll even start tomorrow! I didn't realize the Pembroke's had such a large family, but I'm really looking forward to meeting them.How's Clara and Mr Mason's arrangements going?

In a few hours I will be going to meet the Pembroke's I don't plan to spend the whole evening at the piano this time.

Many thanks

Your beloved daughter Lillian'

Lillian put down the ink and finished her letter. She carefully placed the letter inside an envelope and sealed it. She put the letter on her dressing table. Lillian reclined next to the comforting fire, basking in its warm glow. The arduous journey must have taken a toll on her. She fell into a deep, comfortable sleep.