Chapter 5 christmas eve

Weeks past and finally Christmas Eve arrived. In the past weeks the Christmas tree had arrived, it was towering over the stairs and was enlightened with the most beautiful lights and the most smooth, glistening blood red ball balls. The gorgeous branded were prickled and were a vibrant green.

Lillian had spent most of her time in the garden, though snowed over and cold Lillian didn't give it much care. She had a coat, hat and gloves as well as a stool and tree under which to shelter, she would head out on a crispy, freshly snowed morning and sit and paint. It was a calming activity, the birds would chirp their merry little tunes as if they were sining not for others pleasure but for the pure enjoyment of chirping for themselves. The fresh air would blow swiftly not loudly as if the centre of a tempest but a calm swift air like a whisper.

Lillian would sit and paint the house in all it's marvellous glory. The well placed bricks and delicate dainty windows with artistically added holly and white snow made the watercolours most adorable.

One particular morning, Lillian was joined by Edith who simply sat and watched her paint for an hour or so before the two finally engaged in conversation.

"How long have you been painting those cards"

"A few mornings now"

" I mean to ask, how many years"

" since I was 14 years of age"

"Oh they are quite beautiful"

Edith and Lillian sat a in peace for the remainder of the morning listening to the merry robins tune, the pair didn't meet again until that evening at supper. This was because Lillian and her brother had revived news of there expected return time, a letter had arrived just after breakfast.

'Dear Lillian and James
We have the most splendid news, Clara and Mr Mason are to be married on New Year's Day, the pair have grown close in the weeks Mr Mason and his delightful parents have been staying with us and last night Mr Mason finally made a most gracious proposal, Clara of course was more than glad to accept, we will send for you new year Eve and please do each bring a guest
Yours graciously father and mother'

Lillian and James both read with the utmost surprise, both knew they had some time left at the Pembroke's estate but Lillian was looking forward to the return home, even if she may have to see her and James married off soon. But who was this theoretical husband to be? Lillian started to picture, tall but not so much he was to tower over her and with fluffy hair that made his face a spectre of beauty, oh but his face should be a thing of beauty in itself, smooth like a stone found on the beach curved by the tide and pale like cream but not so much as to look like a phantom. And he should be youthful but so much as to act immaturely and childlike or even so much as to resemble an apprentice, but to look young like a prince. Lillian concluded this man couldn't possibly exist.

When Lillian finally did see Edith once more it was supper, the two didn't speak however until they both happened upon the library, Lillian was outlining the details of the windows, finely tracing the lines in the deepest black ink.

Edith was reading the tales of King Arthur. At that moment Edward - yes the very same from earlier - entered the candlelit room. Casting a dark, uncomfortable air onto the room. Edith decided to retire to her room, although Lillian swisher to follow her she reluctantly stayed to continue tracing her lines. Edward sat down at the desk in the corner and began to write with a scratchy quill.

The two sat in silence, Lillian didn't care to speak to such a rude person and Edward simply had no care to. Edward realised that acknowledging her would at least be a kind thing to do

"what would you happen to be doing at this hour?" Edward inquired

"Outlining" she muttered just loud enough to be heard

"Outlining? Would that be a painting?" Edward inquired further

"A card" Lillian muttered again just loud enough to be heard

"And of What person would you be sending that card to" Edward continued forging the conversation on

"To anyone of my choosing"

"And of what person do you select"

"Why do you continue with these ridiculous questions that are of no value? "

"Have I offended you in some manner?"

"I happened to hear your snide comment earlier, if you didn't wish to offend me your best to keep your thoughts internal"

Edward fell silent at this, Lillian beloved the conversation to be finished and both continued with there pens scratching away at the paper.

"I apologise for having simply voiced my opinion"

Lillian didn't need his silly opinions, she simply didn't speak. Edward had little to say as well, the candlelit room was now filled with what seemed like an unbreakable silence. Lillian finally spoke.

"What are you writing?"

"A newspaper article for the suffrage paper"

"Feminism?"

"We'll yes, miss Pankhurst wrote to me last week she offered a decent sum"

Lillian sat in shock, she couldn't believe this man. A most disagreeable, seemingly pig headed and arrogant cares about feminism and reform. The hope lasted for a short while

"You seem shocked Miss Brown"

"Please do refer to me by Lillian"

"Very well Lillian, you seem rather taken a back"

"Suppose I was, your disposition is the opposite of your habits"

"I disagree, I believe my actions reflect me wel"

"But feminist views oppose-"

"I don't believe in feminism, it's a silly view women are smart in someways but are to fragile for the workplace"

"I bid you goodnight, Edward" Lillian said frustrated

"I pray you sleep well"

Lillian didn't answer.