Chapter 8 First of many

Meanwhile, Edward had also retired to his quarters he had taken longer to fall into a peaceful slumber. Edward had finished writing his article about the woman's suffrage, somewhat to his displeasure however it was work. Edward then put out his one solitary candle with a hiss. He walked over to his bed where one more withered candle dripping it's hot wax burnt solemnly.

Finally Edward got underneath the covers and fell asleep.

"Hehehhe"

"Damn" Edward yelled out upon being awoken

"Hehe"

"Who is that?"

A golden light appeared in front of Edward, the pixie had flowing, golden hair like an angel, it wore a pine green dress with little golden, green, red, yellow orbs hanging from it and had rounded spectacles on top of its petite little head.

"Edward, oh what I silly name, Edward more like dead wood" they said jumping around and fluttering in frantic circles. "Hehe, hehe, hehe" they said bouncing off every wall, lamp, desk and door.

"Will you quit it"

"Okay, hehe" they said before vigorously ripping the sheets off and pulling Edward upward spinning him round and round like a penny being spun on a table. Until at once it halted. The air was cold and snow was falling from the sky. Edward knew it like a blind man knew his dog.

"He he he, scruffy boy do you know this place" the pixie said spinning around in the air.

Edward of course knew it from the first breath of the cold morning air. "It's familiar" he lied

"Haha heheh, the spectre dragged him into a posh boarding school building. Every spec of it was cleaned so much it seemed to shine like a pearl. It was painted a pale white and had smooth floorboards. The room was cold but somehow had much comfort to offer. Two boys sat in the corner of the room, the only two left in there. The first was a short blonde boy, he had a beaming glow about him and a youthful eagerness to him. The second was a brunette boy who was lanky and had a brain dripping with bright ideas and thoughts but lacked the others childish joy. Climbing into the desk the second began,

"We shall walk into streets of London and observe" he jumped over the desk and impersonated a pick pocket.

"A pick pocket boy" the first chipped in
The second picked out the handkerchief from the others pocket.
"Oi, thief"
The second stopped his sneaky, little rat like impression and turned into a stocky policemen.

"Oi! Stop, I say stop in the name of the law"
"And there's us Eddie, observing all of this" the first said grabbing the seconds wrist and sitting on the window still. They sat there for a moment picturing the scene.

"Then we will storm into the office of the daily times and slam the exquisite article on the publishers desk" the second said slamming his first down on a desk.

Edward watch the scene smirking in the corners of his mouth. The pixie zoomed round and round in hyper little circles stopping on the desk.
"And we will slam it on the desk" they giggle jumping violently on the wooden desk.

"Come on, come forth" the pixie finished like an impatient child. They now stood in a room with a coffin in the middle of it. On it was the name 'Lewis Thompson'

Edwards grin completely faded.

"Why does it matter? Did you know him?"

"He-, you know who he was! You-"Edward sobbed like a heartbroken child.

"He was your friend?" The pixie giggled

"He was-"

"Or something more? " they spun around his head

Edward trembled. "Oh leave me!" He said trying to swat the pixie.

It flew round him f time taking him to one final scene. It was a late night, the two boys sat in the Pembroke's drawing room, the second was yet again the first to speak.

"What is you've been so desperate to inform me of, did we get a job? Or into a collage or maybe even an article" the second jumped excitedly finally matching the excitement of the first looking him straight in the eyes.

The first looked the second back, no one dared break the blissful silence. The second only leaned in and kissed the second boy sweetly, the second made no resistance but accepted it kindly.

They paused, the first looking at the floor shamefully. "I have an illness Edward, it's up to you now"

"We can get past that, I'll just help you"

"You misunderstand me Eddie, I'm going to-to die"

"Oh"

"I'm glad I knew you, however I'm going to move away. Save you the pain"

"The pain of loosing you would be far greater"

"The pain of loving you-loving you has been a sorrowful one Eddie" the first said before leaving the drawing room 

The scene blackened around the pair, Edward shook.
"Leave me old scratch! Why do you torment me so"

"Ha ha ha" the sprite giggle before taking him another scene. A girl stood on the far side of a desk, handing the man one paper slip. He scanned the paper briskly still looking at the blonde, youthful girl.

"Well seeing as no one else dare take the job, your hired" he said outreaching a hand and shaking hers. The two smiled at each other for a moment.

The pixie forwarded to one fateful evening. The two stood outside the crumbing office, it was pitch black with only the dim lamps to guide the pair. A carriage awaited the girl, Edward finished locking the oak panel and turned to wish Layla farewell.

"I bid you goodnight Mr Pembroke"

"Please do call me Edward"

"Edward, goodnight"

"Goodnight Layla"

The two looked at one another unable to turn away, Layla kissed Edward quickly on the lips before smiling and getting into the carriage like a princess.

A few moments later they were back at the oak panel, only changed. The two were scratched by age and weakened by their experiences. The door now read for sale and empty office was now left. Layla departed into the carriage and Edward went to shout for her love but made no attempt out loud, letting her slip away never to be seen again. The sprite that had taunted him so was now absent.