A for Arthur

The tall man looked at his watch before putting it away in his pocket. His eyes scanned the park for something or rather someone. A couple took a peek at him, the man greeting them silently,  tipping his hat a little. His nerves began tightening, ready to leave when a sweet voice called his name. He turned around, and as soon as he saw the woman in blue, his eyes lit up along with his smile.
"Arthur."Claudia exclaimed, almost running into his arms.
"Good evening, darling."He bent down to kiss her lips.
"I hope I'm not too late. I had to go home and change."
"No, not at all. I'm happy that you're here. Shall we go for a little walk till dinner? You can tell me how your day went?"
"That would be lovely."
"So?"
"So. Today I had a luncheon with Mrs. Weld. She's a lovely woman, I have to introduce you to her."
"And in the evening?"
"I had some evening tea with Mrs. Byron."
"Mrs. Byron?"
"She's a widow of two years. Her house is on the Fifth avenue. Perhap you've seen it?"
"Yes, i have of her. Her husband was very wealthy man. I've seen him only twice or thrice in my lifetime. Shouldn't she be in mourning? Considering it's kind of soon."Arthur looked at the woman.
"Maybe she's out. Anyway,  the most charming thing happened. She told me that we've actually met like twice or more. Not directly of course. Oh, Mrs. Byron is the loveliest woman I've ever met. And beautiful too. With her I should introduce you first out of my new friends. You'll like her."
"Maybe."
"So now. Tell me more about her husband."
"Well..."Arthur began to draw the picture of Count Octavius Byron from the short time he had managed to take a glimpse of the royal man and from the gossips of course. Because where are we without a good, juicy gossip. Claudia was listening carefully what her companion was saying, the idea of this man and younger Belladona popped into her mind like a ship through a mist and she slightly smiled, imagining the young Mrs. Byron.

A duck was laid on the bed, in the strange dance with asparagus and hollandaise sauce, topped like a gay man in men's locker room with salsify and white-headed cabbage mixture. Arthur served quite a big plate, while Claudia preferred to go on the tiniest part. Earlier this evening Mr. Wilson, a friend of Arthur and his partner in business, has popped into dinner like a marmot.
"Did you know that Ms. Howards has met Mrs. Byron?"said Arthur before putting his fork in his mouth. Claudia lift her eyes to him, smiling at the other gentleman.
"Or really? Usually she doesn't meet new people so fast."noted Mr. Wilson, looking at the blonde companion.
"It has been only for a tea. And besides she seems very sociable woman."smiled Claudia, pushing away a meat to take an asparagus.
"Usually she isn't. How did you two meet? I have only met her once and she was in mourning."
"At the opera house. A few days ago. She's very charming and she has invited me over for a luncheon next Friday."
"How strange of her! But, oh well, if she has invited you so soon, she truly has some interest in you, my dear."chuckled Mr. Wilson, taking his cup full of wine and sipped.
"I hope so. I don't have many friends in New York and it seems that she's a good party. Besides, I really like her."said Claudia and looked at Arthur. The man on the other side of the table smiled warmly as he continued on his dish.

After the dinner and with Mr. Wilson on his way home with a little alcohol in his blood, Arthur and Claudia can finally breath out freely.
The man pulled the woman into his arms in the hall, gazing at her beautiful face.
"Another successful dinner, my dear."smirked Arthur, tilting his head lightly.
"And another stomach full."said sweetly Claudia, her eyes falling on his lips.
"Do you want me to stay for the night?"
"You know we can't, Arthur. We're not allowed to."
"Then I shall be quick to make it happen."
Arthur bowed down and kissed the woman on her lips, before leaving her standing alone in the hall. The thought of meeting Belladona over a luncheon next Friday made her smile so widely and she quickly ran to her own bedroom to change for bed.