Lockets and chains

"Was someone in that room during the night?"shouted Belladona. She has cornered Ms. Crane, the housekeeper in the entrance hall. It was the first thing she did in the morning. The countess has left Claudia to sleep off her hangover in her bed.
"No, that I can think of."
"Then why I've found this on my night stand?"her hand flew to swing in front of the housekeeper's face the blooded locket. The woman gasped by the sight of it.
"I don't know, madam. Is it perhaps that you might have had a nightmare?"
"How could I have a nightmare when it was all real. The baby, Octavius. The locket here is the evidence."cried out Belladona.
"I don't know, madam. The keys weren't touched at all."
"Give them to me."ordered Bella. Ms.Crane's hand were shaking, finding quickly the key under the watchful of her mistress. When she took hold of them, Belladona quickly rushed to the second floor and into the nursery, followed by the housekeeper. It was as she left it long time ago. Everything was neatly cleaned, ready to be used for future generations. The cradle was still laying under the window, untouched by the time.
"See. The door was staying locked. Only when we were cleaning it. There was no one in that room last night."
But Belladona wasn't listening. She slowly came closer to the cradle, running her hands through the polished wood. Clothes were neatly placed, prepared for the son of the countess. The image of the little infant from last night emerged into her mind. The way it was giggling and looking at her made her stomach drop when suddenly she remembered. She remembered the little scar on his cheek. The same her son one her son had. The countess's head hanged, placing her hand on her stomach. Her nose smelled an unfamiliar scent. Lilacs and daffodils.
"Maybe we can change the lock and then...."
"That won't be necessary."
"What?"
"We won't change anything. Just keep the keys close to you."Belladona turned around, passing Ms. Crane.

                                ........
Claudia grunted, hiding her face from the light. She didn't know how long she slept, nor knowing where her lover was. The blonde slowly rose from the bed, her head splitting with an ache. She took her own nightrobe, wrapping her body. Outside it was far more annoyingly. But what she could do. They weren't her servant's and the sound of footsteps and clinging was fogging her thoughts.
"Good evening, madam."greeted Lucy, Belladona's maid. Claudia blinked a few times to adjust to who she was talking.
"Good evening. Wait, is it evening?"
"Almost lunch time. Would you like me to prepare you something?"
"Where's Mrs. Byron?"
"Oh, she left for the evening to meet with her nephew."
"I see."nodded Claudia. Lucy was looking at her like a kicked puppy, smiling and tossing her head back.
"I will you bring you something. You can go downstairs to wait."
"Thank you, Lucy."
"No problem."
The blonde's eyes followed the maid on her way to the kitchen. Was it really already an evening? Perhaps she may have overstayed in the villa. She went through one dark corridor that was more suitable for her state, until she reached an unfamiliar door. She opened it to find herself in the dark coloured office. The familiar man and woman greeted her on her entrance. Claudia lifted her eyes towards the portrait. The same old grey man, whose hand was placed lovingly on the shoulder of the woman, who made her crave her every night. Ms. Howards rubbed her eyes. His eyes were hiding under bushy eyebrows, looking like a hunter, who spotted its prey. She thought for a moment how his voice would sound. A man like him wouldn't suit a voice as squeaky of that of a squirrel or a twink boy.
She came around the desk to be greeted by notebooks, papers and four pictures. She smiled, lifting the one with the married couple and their infant daughter. The girl now finally saw how young and beautiful was her lover in her youth. Belladona still had this elegance, which she treasured even know. Her eyes bright and warm were starring at the camera. The man behind her, laying his hand on her shoulder, was stoic and respectful. Claudia sat down on the chair. It was warm. She scanned through the other photos, laughing especially at the one with the dog. Her hands went to look through the desk, opening the little cabinets. At one she found something rather interesting. A small, thick diary. She opened it, a little locket and a small letter dropped from between the pages. She scrolled through it before stopping on the date. 26 March 1877.
"Dreadful day. Belladona was still laying in her bed, while I confess to you. Maybe if came back sooner, this wouldn't have happened. His funeral would be held at the local church. I couldn't bear to witness the coffin. Loosing a...."
The loud crash of opened door startled Claudia, making her slam the diary down and stand up. Belladona was standing on the door, still dressed in her evening gown.
"What are you doing here?"her voice was stern. Her chest was lifting up and down.
"I-"
"Please get out."
"I didn't do anything wrong, Bella."
"Please leave this room at once."the brunette's face looked down. She hated to be strict with her loved ones, but rules were rules. Claudia quickly took the letter and the little locket, hiding them away from the countess. As she passed her she could feel her lover's eyes sending daggers into her heart. Bella grabbed her arm, stopping her in front of her.
"This room is off limits for outside people."
"I understand."
"Please don't enter this room without my permission ever again."
Claudia nodded, freeing herself from the woman. Belladona looked around, eyes falling on her husband. She came close to the portrait and around the desk, bringing back the diary to its previous place. Before exiting she turned around once more.
"I'm terribly sorry, Octavius."she said , closing the door.