The Brother

The morning was going rather quiet. Belladona was reading the daily newspaper of Newport in the guest room, while Claudia Howards was having a promenade through the garden with the small grey dog. The birds were chirping outside, the sun was fighting to get more into the villa... and a horse neighed outside the building.
"Mrs. Byron. Your brother is here."announced with trembling voice the butler, interrupting his mistress.
"My brother?"asked Belladona, leaving the newspaper on the sofa and going to see if it was true. It was. On the front door, with all his mighty and beauty, stood the tall figure of Edward Mountbatten. He was taking off his top hat when he saw his sister coming out from the room.
"Edward."yelped Belladona, going to hug her little brother. He kissed her cheek, smiling at her.
"What are you doing here? I thought you won't come to Newport this summer?"
"I did. Well, Ada did, along with Clara and Laurence. And I've decided to spend some time with you and maybe you can come to dinner!"
"I would love nothing more. We...."she gulped." I haven't seen my favourite nephew and niece for so long."
He nodded in agreement. Of course. How could he imagine that she'll forgive him after such tragedy. Older sisters never forget. And he knew it painfully well.
"Belladona, I- Oh, good morning."yelped Claudia Howards, startling lightly the two siblings on the front door.
"Good morning, miss."
"Ms. Howards, this is my brother, Edward Mountbatten."hissed Belladona, waving her hand towards her brother.
"How do you do, Ms. Howards?"
"How do you do? I heard a lot about you."
"How intriguing. I hope only bad things."joked Edward, making Claudia laugh.
"I'm going upstairs to change and to leave these flowers. It was a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Mountbatten."bowed Claudia and ran towards her bedroom.

"Your new pet?"
"Stop calling them like this."
"Our parents wouldn't like this."
"Our parents are gone, Edward."
"If not our parents, then think what would Octavius say. He would be ashamed and sent you to asylum."hissed Edward, his eyes widened. A little detail which he inherited from their mother. Belladona hated this.
"You have forgotten that Octavius was the one who led me into this...."
"Don't you love him anymore? Don't you love yourself?"
"I gave up everything for my husband and this godforsaken family. I have no love left for myself."spat Belladona. He was breathing hard, she too.
"You have always seek happiness in the wrong places."snarled Edward after a few seconds in silence.
"Seek happines? I stand guard on everyone's behalf, but who does as much for me"snapped Belladona, turning around to leave her brother.
"This will not end well. Not for me, not for the family, but for you and that poor woman. You're not allowed to want her."
Belladona stopped midsteps.
"Then may Satan himself find me sooner."groaned Belladona, leaving her brother hanging.