Meet the Parents

Bryce

"Where's this fiancée of yours, Bryce? I can't wait to meet her." My mother sips her wine, smiling. "It's all I've been thinking of since your father told me about this secret fiancée of yours. I can't believe you kept this from us all this time."

I'd wanted us to drive together to the country club but Giana insisted on meeting me here. I haven't seen her since I returned to the hospital to give her a copy of the agreement three days ago along with a credit card she could use toward everything she'd need to look the part of my fiancée.

Mom was so happy when she heard the news that I almost felt bad about the deception. But when she called all her friends and told them Giana would be attending the charity golf tournament, I have to admit I panicked.

"She's on her way, Mom. Probably doing some last-minute stuff like women like to do."

Giana isn't actually like that. She wasn't crazy about the gauntlet of changes Harper Peters, the stylist I'd recommended, had wanted her to go through but Giana assured me she wasn't about to disappoint me. As if I need another reason to like her, she's actually more of a tomboy.

So why am I nervous?

Dad kisses her on the cheek. "Don't scare her away, love. No mention of grandchildren, promise?"

"He is almost thirty, honey. It's time he gives us grandchildren," Mom says. "But I promise I won't mention it."

All around us everyone is excited about the tournament, many of them waiting their turn on the green while others are busy perusing the items up for bidding. One of them is a date with Auburn Spring's Top Bachelors that would have included me had my mother not informed the board that her son was engaged and therefore, "off the market."

My eyes widen when Giana appears at the doors of the main hall of the country club. With her glasses gone and replaced by contacts, her makeup accenting her dusky complexion especially her big brown eyes and her long brown hair falling over her shoulders, she's a sight to behold and I'm not alone in staring at her. The red sleeveless dress she's wearing accentuates all her curves, the V-neck tastefully showing off a bit of her cleavage.

I meet her halfway, my heart racing. Giana had gone from cute to absolutely hot and I can feel other people's eyes on her as she walked toward me.

I kiss her on both cheeks, chuckling when she turns a bright shade of red. "You look fan-fucking-tastic," I whisper, catching the scent of jasmine and rose on her skin.

"Ah, so this is the woman of the hour," my father says behind me. "Quite a beauty you got there, son."

"Mom, Dad, this is Giana Avila," I say. "Dad, I'm sure you're aware of Miss Avila."

"Mr. and Mrs. Holden." Giana holds out her hand. "Very nice to meet you both."

"I had no idea you were already seeing my son," Dad says as he shakes her hand. "Unless you two just decided to get married the last three days."

Giana and I exchange glances. "I've been seeing her for a while now, Dad."

"It was actually a surprise when you assigned me to him, sir," Giana says, smiling. "For a while there, I honestly thought you found out."

Mom playfully smacks Dad's shoulder. "Bryce Holden, Senior, that is an awful thing to say." She turns to face us. "Grandkids. I want grandkids as soon as possible."

I groan. Between my father's skepticism about my relationship and my mother's excitement about the prospect of grandchildren, I just hope Giana doesn't run for the hills.