Supermoon

Giana

Bryce is already at the office when I arrive on Monday morning. We don't have to be here so early so I'm surprised to see him with a cup of coffee in his hand standing by my desk.

"What's going on?"

"I got you coffee," he replies, handing me the cup. "Io says you like two creamers in your coffee and guess my timing's perfect because I just got here."

"Thank you." I smile, accepting the coffee from him. "So what are you doing up so early?"

"I wanted to prepare for the presentation," Bryce replies. "I don't want to mess this one up by being unprepared."

"But you're already prepared, Bryce," I say. "Maybe we'll need to go over every detail regarding the green building elements but that's about it."

"I'm leaving all that for you to present, by the way. After all, green building design is your specialty and I can't take that credit," he says as I stare at him in surprise. "We're a team, Giana. You and me."

I frown as I set my coffee on the desk. "Are you sure?"

"I've never been more sure about anything in my life." Bryce leans toward me and kisses me on the lips. "That's for good luck."

I kiss him right back, the feel of his mouth soft and warm. "And that's for good luck right back at you. You'll knock this out of the park, Bryce."

"We," he says, grinning. "We will knock this out of the park."

An hour later, we step into the packed conference room. Bryce and I take our positions in the front of the room and set up the slideshow. His father sits at the back of the room, looking on and for a moment, I wonder if I can do this but as if reading my mind, Bryce squeezes my hand. His touch sends electricity shooting through me, my heart racing.

"You'll do great. We're a team, remember?" he murmurs before clearing his throat and turning to face the room.

As soon as he greets everyone, most of the ones closest to the front by name including Henry Camden, the meeting officially begins. He goes over the proposal with confidence and just as he had told me, gives me the opportunity to go over the green building concepts.

Throughout the presentation, people nod along although Henry doesn't look as impressed. He asks the most questions, some of them almost argumentative as if he'd changed his mind about wanting to have a green building project at all. But all it takes for me to stand my ground is to remember how Alton had called me "the help" and how much I want to prove him and everyone wrong. I'm more than 'the help' that people may think. I'm a good architect and right now, I'm pretty much Bryce's partner even if it's temporary.

When the presentation is over, Mr. Holden walks up to the front and throws his arm over his son's shoulders. "I think my son has more than redeemed himself, don't you all think?"

"That was an excellent presentation," one of the men says. "I have to admit you've answered all our questions and addressed every concern. To be honest, we're looking forward to starting this project as soon as possible... unless Mr. Camden says otherwise, of course."

All eyes turn to Henry Camden as he flips the presentation packet shut in front of him. "Guess your son isn't as much of a fuck-up as he seems," he says, leaning back in his chair. "What changed? Did he do this or did she?"

"We both did, as well as the team that built the scale models," Bryce replies. "You can't expect me to do this alone, do you?"

"I think you can thank the influence of my son's fiancée, Miss Avila," Mr. Holden says. "She's right here and you can address her yourself."