Equals

Bryce

"You're distracted tonight."

I look up from the cue ball in front of me and see Kieran across the pool table, his brow furrowed. We're at the Mother Lode Saloon, one of our favorite places in town where we can be ourselves.

"Just planning my next shot. You got a date or what?"

"You are my date." He laughs. "But you've been planning that shot for the last three minutes. Although I'd call it a lovesick stare more than anything."

My face heats up. "Shut up."

"And that's why you're defensive about it." He cocks his head toward the cue ball. "Take your shot. Then we can sit down and talk."

I call my shot before sinking the 8-ball into the side pocket. It was an easy shot so there's no need to celebrate, just as there'd been no need to stand there and "plan" my shot. I hate to admit it but Kieran's right. I haven't been paying attention to the game at all. I've been too busy thinking of that damn kiss.

A group of people take over the pool table as soon as we head toward an empty booth. I'm surprised Kieran's not lining up some woman to take home for the night but then, neither am I. As far as I'm concerned, it's guy's night.

"You and Giana doing okay?" he asks. "You could have brought her along, you know. I wouldn't have minded, you being engaged and all that."

"That's because you wouldn't have lasted more than five minutes being the third wheel."

I did consider inviting Giana but after that kiss, the only option for me was to walk away. It's one thing to pretend we're engaged in front of my parents, but it's another thing when we're alone. I know I'm not pretending about my feelings for her and in my gut, I know she likes me just as much. So why are we pretending the attraction isn't there?

Is that why I'm scared? Because I know what I'm feeling is unlike anything I've never felt before? That when she looks at me, my heart races and all I can think of is how she'd feel in my arms, how her lips will taste on my tongue, and how perfect we are for each other.

"She had other plans tonight," I lie. "Besides, it's boy's night out. Why? You bored with me already?"

"If you keep up that lovesick look of yours, I will be soon."

I scoff. "What lovesick look?"

"The one that you've been wearing the moment we walked in here." He flags a server and orders two beers. "So is everything good between you two?"

"Everything's great."

"Then what's bothering you?" Kieran asks. "The wedding? Because one of the guys at the station has a sister who owns that floral shop on Main Street. She told him your mother called wanting to know if you guys already placed an order. A big one. Got the poor girl excited but alas, no one's called."

I roll my eyes. "That's exactly my problem. Mom's too excited about the wedding."

"You got a date set?"

"No."

"Have you told your mother to step away?"

I laugh. "You don't think I have? She actually asked Giana to meet her for coffee this afternoon, then proceeded to ask about the wedding plans. If I hadn't come straight from playing golf with Parker, who knows what would have happened?"

Kieran frowns. "What's the problem? So you have your mom helping out."

"More like taking over." I pause as the server sets our beers on the table. "Anyway, Giana and I want to take our time, you know?"