Disappointment

Bryce

Before I can stop my uncle, he pulls us to the center of the living room and makes the announcement. So much for our plans to leave as soon as we find my parents. With everyone coming over to offer their congratulations and well wishes, we can't leave now, at least not as quickly as we had hoped.

"Can we see the ring?" "When is the wedding?" "Where is the wedding?" "Is she pregnant? Is that why you're suddenly engaged?" "What happened to that model you dated last year? She was hot."

I almost tell everyone to lay off their attempts at good wishes since they're failing miserably when I see my father making his way through the crowd toward us.

"There you are. You two finally made it," he says. "I'm afraid I lost your mother somewhere between here and the library where we were chatting with Henry who just happens to be in town. Your aunt Marlena pulled her along way to talk about something important." He turns to face Gianna. "How are you doing so far, my dear? Are you enjoying yourself?"

She laughs nervously. "I'm not so sure yet. We just met Uncle Thomas."

"It's really not so bad as long you don't take everything personally," Dad says, lowering his voice. "These people can be crass sometimes—and clueless—but it's just the way they are. I think Bryce's friend Tai called them–"

"The crazy rich Holdens," I deadpan. "And after that first time he did, he's not keen on tagging along to one of these things ever again."

"He's not lying," Dad says, laughing. "We Holdens can be a crazy bunch. Maybe it's just passed down from the days of the Gold Rush, who knows, eh?"

Oh, I know. I can still remember when Aunt Marlene told me once, there's rich and then there's Holden-rich. Your family's not one of them, Junior, but if you work hard enough, maybe one day you will be.

I was only eleven then but she drove the message home.

Even though the world may think all Holdens are the same, we're not.

"You're still not wearing a ring, dear," my father says before he turns to face me, his brow furrowing. "I would have expected her to be wearing a ring by now, Bryce."

"It's still at the jeweler," I lie. "We were supposed to pick it up today but we were in a rush to get here."

"Ah, I see." Dad clasps my shoulder. "I'm going to mingle. Maybe see who needs a new building designed and get ourselves a new account." He winks at Giana. "Maybe I could even talk about green building design."

I roll my eyes. "Dad, it's a family reunion, not a networking event."

He chuckles. "Every day is a networking event, son. You'll learn that soon enough."

After Dad wanders away, I take Giana's hand. "Let's get some air."

I pull her to the door leading to the backyard before someone else can ask her who her parents are again. What is it with my relatives' obsession with family connections? Are they trying to find some long-lost link to a President?

We follow the stone path leading to the chairs in front of the sand volleyball court. At least, there's no one outside, affording us a little break from everyone else.

"I'm sorry about how awful my family can be."

"You don't have to apologize, Bryce."

I chuckle dryly. "I used to enjoy coming here when I was a little boy until, when I was eleven, Aunt Marlene told me that no matter how much money we make, we—my family—didn't belong with their group of Holdens."