Chapter Sixteen - Daddy's Home

☼ Kai ☼

The next comp was sneaking up on us as we all spent time preparing. Bax was in the shop working more than usual as I spent more time with the girls while he was gone. I've realized I'm more clingy than I thought, which utterly disgusts me because I use to think girls that couldn't go more than a few minutes from their boyfriends were rather pathetic. Guess the jokes on me now. The four of us were sitting out in the line up as we watch for a wave. "I mean it's kinda weird right?" Bodhi speaks up as I focus back on the conversation. "Not to me" Summer answers as they both look at me waiting for a response. "Sorry...." I trail off as they realize I wasn't listening. "I was just saying how our friendships are all weird and fucked up. I use to date Marlon and he's now with Poppy. Ari use to have a big fat crush on me and is now dating Summer and well Bax and Summer had a bit of a situationship last year and now you and Bax are adorably disgusting together. I just think it's weird....." She clarifies as I nod my head. "It's pretty fucked up." I agree as they all laugh. "I think it's more of a testament to the boys for making us all feel secure in our relationships." I elaborate as Poppy nods along to my words. "You definitely don't have to worry about whether or not Bax is into you...the man literally worships the ground you walk on." Poppy tells me as the girls agree. "I don't think I've ever seen him this happy" Summer adds as I feel my cheeks start to heat, the blush starting to spread. "His birthday is coming up and I want to do something special for him." I say "I was thinking something with food trucks for sure. Unlimited food for him. Maybe have everyone dress up like him." I spout out my ideas as the girls all nod along. "Oh my god could you imagine all of us looking like Bax and surprising him.....amazing." Poppy laughs. "He'll love the food trucks" Summer tells me. The rest of the morning we spend planning out a rough idea on his surprise birthday party. It felt good to have a group of friends eager to help me give him a birthday he deserves.

It was finally competition day, my nerves were at an all time high as I tried to watch the same video of my mum on repeat. "Remember Kai, it's not about your precision it's about the way you feel out there. Let the ocean guide you...listen to what it's telling you. Enjoy the moment Kit Kat." her voice filling me with warmth and sadness the tears already steadily falling. You would think by now I would be used to this...be used to her being gone but I'm not. Each day without her becomes harder when I feel like I'm loosing her in my memoires. Two big strong arms pick me up as he buries his face in the crock of my neck. "I love you" he whispers as I melt into his hold. "I love you too" I kiss his forehead as he pulls back those ocean eyes finding mine. I don't think he will ever know how much I need him, how much I need his touch. He will never understand how he saved me from myself. "Can I see your video?" he questions a little unsure if he should. I nod my head as we sit in the sand. I put one of my airpods in his ear as he watches the video with me again. "You remind me of her.....the way you give everyone here advice...it sounds like hers." he smiles kissing my cheek. I look up at him my breathing becoming uneven. "Kit Kat?" he questions as a small smile tilts the corners of my lips. "When I was a toddler I had gotten into some kit kats. My mum said she walked into the bathroom while I was hiding to see me covered head to toe in melted chocolate. At first she thought it was poop, said she was gagging pretty bad at the thought but when she got closer to inspect she saw the kit kat wrappers hidden in the toilet. Ever since then she's called me Kit Kat." I tell him the small smile on my face growing bigger at the memoires. His hand comes to tilt my chin up so he can kiss me, I relax into him as he deepens the kiss.

Manu calls for us to all come over as Bax helps me up his hands never leaving me as he holds on to me like I'm his anchor. "This is the last comp before finals. I'm so incredibly proud of this team and all the hard work you have put into it. I never imagined my first chance at coaching a state team would be this meaningful. Each of you hold a special place in my heart and I'm thankful that you have trusted me with your journey. You all have worked hard over the last weeks correcting your weaknesses. We have this comp in the bag as long as you stay out of your head and enjoy yourselves. Half the journey is having fun. Pops want to close this out?" He says looking at his sister as she gives him a smile. "Let's go kick some ass!" She shouts as we all cheer. We watch Marlon up first as he lands impressive scores, Poppy screaming on the beach in excitement. I lean against Bax's strong body his arms wrapped around me as he leaves a trail of kisses up and down my neck. Soon it was Bax's turn as I quickly kiss him good luck. The girls all stand around me watching the way he attacks the waves in true Baxter Radic form. I seriously could watch him surf and never tire of it, the way he has no fear out there. The sheer confidence he has in the ocean as he does a rodeo flip during the last wave as everyone cheers on the beach. "Baxter Radic pulling out a rodeo flip, this is going to look good for Team Victoria" the commentator says over the speakers. The moment I see that messy wet pink hair make his way back to the beach I go running as I jump into his arms. He catches me with ease as our lips find each others. "I'm so incredibly proud of you!" I tell him when I pull away from our kiss. A look of pure happiness crosses his face. "No one's ever said that to me before." his voice was low, almost a whisper. One of my hands comes to cup his cheek. "Be prepared to hear it for the rest of your life because you are something to be proud of baby" I tell him as my thumb caress his cheek. "If you keep talking to me like that Longboard I'm gonna have to marry you." he teases in all seriousness. "Well in that case. I love you, I'm proud of you, and I can't wait till tonight." I list off as his grin widens. "Marry me" he teases again as I kiss him quickly. "Hmmm Kai Radic has a nice ring to it" I state his eyes turning from that amused twinkle to something more serious...his lips collided with mine as he kisses me breathlessly.