Chapter Twenty Three - Six Years Later and a Lifetime Together

☼ Kai ☼

For the last six years Bax and I have been surfing the competitive circuit around the world. The competition is freakishly talented, with equally uber disciplined athletes. There are only 36 spots available on the World Tour and Bax and I made it for four years.

My whole life I've always had this dream, to be a competitive surfer. Getting the chance to surf alongside some of my idols has been unbelievable....but getting to do this all with Bax has been nothing short of magical. I get to do what I love with the man I love.

Our two years was rough sailing, we just barely made the cut. Our management teams were up our asses about finding ways to become relevant and my self confidence was at an all time low. Bodhi had given us the best idea to record our life on the road, an intimate look into the life of a couple during the championship tour.

We blew up over night, which was overwhelming and humbling. People loved watching us be our weird selves together and because of our social media presences we were able to hire this amazing photographer and cinematographer that followed us around to literally film us for the last four years. The adventures have been a wild ride and I couldn't be anymore thankful for where my life is and the people I've met.

It wasn't until a few months ago that Bax and I were doing yoga at dawn on our paddle boards that we talked about how much we missed home. There was this deep need to plant roots somewhere, and the only place that felt right was Shorehaven.

So we announced to the surfing world that this was our last year of competition. Shane had called up Bax around the time we started to talk about leaving the circuit. He had offered Bax a 50/50 partnership at the shop making boards. It's something he's always wanted, his dream after surfing.

We found a nice home right on the beach of Shorehaven. It wasn't far from Manu in fact he's the one that helped us find it when we told him we are coming back. Poppy and Bodhi have been on the circuit for a while making increible waves and have no plans on stopping anytime soon. Summer, Ari, and Mars are the only one's back in Shorehaven.

Summer and Ari are still going strong. She has a skate and surf store, with a giant halfpipe in the back lot where kids gather to skate. Ari and Mars are what we call free surfers. They literally get paid to surf their brains out, receiving a salary based on the amount of video clips they can post and how many likes they get.

I'm sitting on the ledge of our back deck drinking a coffee as I watch the morning waves crash onto the beach. For the last six years I've been traveling constantly that I forgot what it was like to just sit and enjoy life.

Bax's strong arms come to wrap around my waist, his chin leaning down to rest on my shoulder as we watch our perfect view of the ocean from our backyard.

"We made it." His rich warm voice making my stomach flutter. Seven beauitful years with this man and he still makes my stomach fill with butterflies.

"Went on grand adventures and experienced the world together as pro surfers. Now we're here in our home we own in Shorehaven, where I own my own shop shaping boards.....now there's really only two things left to do." He tells me, kissing my cheek before turning me around and setting my cup of coffee down.

"Bax....." I say watching him carefully. The butterflies have turned into a zoo.

In slow motion he kneels down in front of me, pulling out a small box from his pocket.

"I've thought of this moment a million different ways....have tried to propose several times throughout the last seven years with you. The truth is I couldn't imagine doing this anywhere else than in Shorehaven....in our home, just the two of us....I can't put into words....and fuck if it don't frustrate me. Because you? God how I want you to understand the depths of my love for you. How I just want to find or write one fucking poem that could describe it all. Because damn it what I feel for you should be written down in permanent ink, it should have a place of it's own somewhere in this universe....." He pauses for a moment trying to keep the tears lining his eyes from spilling over. My hand comes out to caress his face.