Chapter One *Invited to the Manor..*

"That new reporter is something else. She cant keep her head out of others's business I hear. I hear she got invited to the Oletus Manor the other day. Will she dare show her face?"
                      — Rumor

.Tuesday, 1889 7:53 Pm.

You sighed softly, clicking keys on your typewriter as you attempted to find motivation to finish. You glanced over at your board, littered with red strings and pins connecting different newspaper clippings. You had been at a particular story for days, feeling like a madwoman as you heard the rumors spread like a disease. A disease you brought upon yourself. You suddenly felt a sharp pinch as you pulled your finger back from your typewriter. It always pinched you whenever you weren't paying attention. Perhaps it was time to buy a new one. Your eyes began wondering from the typewriter to around the room. Observing your surroundings you spotted two bookshelves on either side of the room, covered head to toe with books, a decent sized closet to the side with a clean mirror attached to its side, and then there was your chair and desk. Your office was quite empty some would think, but it was yours and you cherished your time in it. You sighed once more, your gaze fixing back on the typewriter as you lifted the paper to put with the rest of your unfinished stories. You got up form your chair, pushing it back in its original position at you walked over to one of your bookshelves. You leaned in, looking at the lock on the safe as your face soured slightly. You never enjoyed unlocking this safe, as you almost always forgot the positioning. Turning the knob slowly until you heard the click, you frowned softly. You turned the outer knob next, making sure to hit every smaller clack until it clicked. You smiled gently as you opened the safe, revealing two compartments; one filled with papers, and the other with some of your other personal items. You slid the paper on top of the stack, and as you were about to close it, the envelope slid out. You gasped slightly, hurrying to grab it before it hit the floor, and to your appeal, you succeeded. Sighing as you stood up straight, You flipped the envelope onto its back, looking at the wax seal. The gears in your mind began turning as you thought to yourself. "It wouldn't hurt to go, as I could get a new story to write about.." Your mind wandered as you soon found yourself peeling the wax seal off at your desk. Once you slipped the invitation out of the envelope completely, you immediately began reading.

"Addressed to the reporter, Y/N,
I do hope this finds you in good health, as I personally would like to see you attend a small gathering at the Oletus Manor this coming Thursday. Although please do not feel obligated to show. I do understand this has been tough for you, coming here after your family's passing.
If it suits your schedule, you may arrive earlier then the mentioned date, as i already have a guest waiting for me. Please accept my apologies for not being there until Thursday, as im busy preparing something important. My butler will explain what needs to be explained when you arrive.
Be well,
Baron DeRoss."

"This was written more like a personal letter..Not that I mind." You thought to yourself, humming in wonder as you smiled softly. "How could i refuse?" You softly said to yourself. Looking up from the letter, you were met with the sight of a dark window. Gasping to yourself, you hurried to pack your things. Your office building had one rule; never to stay too late. You swiftly pulled out your pocket watch, clicking it open as checking the time. "8:15?!" You called out, immediately shushing your tone as not to alert anyone else who was breaking the rule. You rushed to your deck, picking up your suitcase as you placed it on the desk's flat top. You clicked it open, revealing some scattered papers as you hurried over to your bookshelf. You took off your favorite book "The Thirteenth Gift By Orpheus, your favorite author. You tossed it gently into your suitcase as you picked up the papers littering your desk, and slipping them into your suitcase as well. You sighed softly, turning over to the framed picture of you and you childhood best friend, Norton. The two of you were inseparable when you were little. You smiled softly as you picked up the photo and slipped it into your suitcase gently. You looked down at your pocket watch, suddenly reminded of the time, you clicked your suitcase shut and rushed out of the door. 

You decided to arrive at the Manor that next morning.

.Wednesday, 1889 6:04 Am.

You woke up to the sound of the birds pecking at your window, as they did every morning at around 6. You sighed, fluttering your eyes open softly as you grumbled. You covered your head with the soft pillow underneath your head as you groaned. The bird continued their pecking as you took the pillow off your head and sat up. You sat there for a moment. Taking in all the morning had to offer as the sun beamed down on your face. The bird continued pecking at your window as you chuckled softly
at yourself for getting annoyed with them earlier. You slid out of bed, fixing your nightgown as you threw a robe on and walked over to your dresser, where a bag of bird seed sat. You took the bag, and poured a small amount into your palm as you carefully walked toward the window. you opened it gently as not to scare the birds, and held out your palm. The birds previously pecking at your window hopped into your hand, not picking at the seed until they were pricking your hand gently. You chuckled softly, lifting your hand to let the birds fly away. You sighed, resting your elbows on the windowsill as you closed your eyes, feeling the gentle breeze pour into your room as you smiled.

Today was the day you were visiting the Oletus Manor..