Chapter Two

"You are the next great chief of our people," Tui told Moana as she ran into her mother's arms.

"And you will do wondrous things, my little minnow," Sina said with a smile as she kissed Moana's cheek.

"Oh, yes," Tui agreed as they walked back to the village. "But first, you must learn where you're meant to be."

Men began grunting in rhythm as they worked. Children played as Tui carried Moana into the village.

"Moana," he sang.

"Make way, make way

"Moana, it's time you knew

"The village of Motunui is all you need

"The dancers are practicing

"They dance to an ancient song."

"Who needs a new song? This old one's all we need," the old dancers agreed as they threw three leis on Moana's neck.

"This tradition is our mission," Tui continued as Moana drew a picture of herself on a boat in the ocean.

"And Moana, there's so much to do.

"Don't trip on the taro root

"That's all you need." Just then, a chicken with half a coconut on its head, who would later be named Hei-Hei, was about to trip on a rock. Moana pulled the coconut off, only for the chicken to still trip.

"We share everything we make," Tui continued as he, Sina, Moana, and other villagers worked on weaving baskets

"We joke and we weave our baskets

"The fishermen come back from the sea."

"I wanna see," Moana sang as she made her way to the water, only for Tui to scoop her up.

"Don't walk away," he sang as he scooped her up.

——

"Moana, stay on the ground now," Tui sang as he set a ten-year-old Moana down on the floor of a hut.

"Our people will need a chief and there you are." He then gestured to a headdress Sina had made as Moana tilted her head in second-guessing.

"There comes a day," Tui and Sina harmonized as they caught Moana trying to sail with Pua, her pig, in a small canoe.