Chapter Eleven

The Kakamora boat then sailed out of the fog.

Hands down, it was the biggest boat Moana had ever seen. It looked like an entire fortress or island with sails.

Multiple coconuts then popped out, banging on drums as their chief, who wore a headdress of a shark jaw with horns, stepped forward on top of the boat. Looking down, he pointed his spear down, right at Te Fiti's heart in Moana's hand.

"Ocean!" Moana called to the water as she stuffed the heart back into her necklace. "Do something! Help us!"

"The ocean doesn't help you, you help yourself!" Maui said to the two teenagers as he took place at the boat's helm. "Curly, tighten the halyard. Shaggy, bind the stays!"

Moana and Aukai just looked at each other in confusion before looking back at Maui.

"You two can't sail?" he asked.

"Let's, uh... just say I've had a blank slate," Aukai admitted.

"And... I am self-taught?" Moana suggested as hopefully as she could.

Glaring at the two kids, Maui pulled on the sail's rope, gathering more wind. The boat lurched forward as it picked up speed.

Looking down, the Kakamora chief lowered his spear in signal. Multiple Kakamora trapped in hamster-wheels began to run, releasing giant drums as more, who were tied with tight ropes began to jump on the large instruments. Their giant boat began to pick up the same wind Moana, Aukai, and Maui were riding, causing them to catch up.

"You're a demigod!" Aukai shouted at Maui. "Can't you shapeshift or blast them with lightning or something?"

"Do you see my hook?" Maui asked. "No magic hook, no magic powers!"

Just then, multiple arrows sailed through the air. Ropes were tied to each one as they struck the canoe's mast and deck.

"Whoa!" the three heroes all cried as their boat was pulled back by many Kakamora pirates. Hei-Hei just rolled into the open storage compartment.

As Maui pulled arrows out with ease, Moana struggled with one. Drawing his sword, Aukai began slicing through the ropes when he noticed something.

"Uh, guys?" he asked.

Just then, more sails opened in the Kakamora fortress. It began to split into three separate pieces.

"Their boat is turning into more boats!" Moana shouted in worry. The two smaller boats began to sail around the small canoe. Giant conch shells began to sound like horns from the large boats.

Many of the coconut pirates began to hop onto the ropes and slide down right towards Moana and her friends. However, they all began falling into the ocean with every arrow Maui pulled out and with every rope Aukai cut.

Just as more neared them on the final rope, the one Moana was working so hard on, she finally pulled it out of the mast, causing the strange coconut people to fall into the sea like their comrades.

"Yep," Moana said with a smile and flip of her hair, "I just did that." Just then, a Kakamora pirate landed right on top of her.

There was still an arrow stuck in the top of the mast.

Many fell on Maui as three fell on top of Aukai. Standing up, Aukai faced the coconut people, who stood on each other's heads to be as tall as him and held up his cutlass. The pirates all held up their weapons, ready for a fight. Cracking his neck, Aukai swung his sword, fighting all three at once.

Moana had a tug of war against her pirate with her necklace when the heart flew out. And it landed right at Hei-Hei's feet.

"No, no!" Moana cried as her chicken swallowed the heart whole. "Hei-Hei!" The Kakamora then grabbed Hei-Hei by the neck and dove into the storage compartment. He popped out behind Moana and began climbing the mast. Moana climbed after him as Maui began throwing the Kakamora that crawled all over his huge body into the sea.

Holding up Hei-Hei, the Kakamora soldier grabbed the arrow as it was pulled back toward the fortress.

"Maui! Aukai!" Moana shouted as the two boys finished off the rest of the coconuts. She dropped down in front of them. "They took the heart!"

Hei-Hei clucked as he was dragged across the ocean's surface.

"That's a chicken," the demigod pointed out.

"The chicken ate the..." Aukai began before growling in frustration. He returned his sword to his buckler as he said, "Long story short, we have to get him back."

Looking around, Maui noticed the three parts of the Kakamora fortress beginning to surround their little boat.

"Maui!" Moana cried. Furrowing his brow, Maui came up with something.

"Cheeeehoooo!" he whooped. He then jumped into the ship's bow, causing it to do an impossible 180-degree turn. Grabbing a rope, he ran to the other side and pulled, leveling the boat it could tip.

The Kakamora all cheered as the pirate who stole Hei-Hei held up the chicken in victory.

"There!" Moana said as she pointed up. "Right there!"

However, Maui began turning.

"Why are you turning?" Aukai asked the demigod. "What are you doing?"

"Uh, escaping!" Maui answered.

"The heart!" Moana said as she pointed up at Hei-Hei.

"Forget it!" the demigod said. "You'll never get it back! Besides, you got a better one." He then held up the heart he carved into the oar with a smile.

"Hey!" Maui shouted as Moana grabbed the heart and jumped onto the Kakamora's boat. "What am I gonna steer with? They're just gonna kill ya!"

"There's nothing you can do," Aukai said. "Once she puts her mind to something, she does whatever she can to get it done."

Moana began to breathe heavily as she held up her oar. Many Kakamora, even their medic Baymax, all turned to face her.

"Coconuts," Moana said with a smile. She then held up her oar.

With many swings, she knocked down as many Kakamora as she could before jumping up to the upper part of the fortress. The Kakamora shooters tried to hit her with blow darts, only to miss at the last minute.

The pirate with Hei-Hei almost made it to his chief when Moana jumped in and grabbed her chicken.

A single blow dart struck the chief in the arm, causing him to turn and glare at the one who shot it. But every muscle in his body shut down as he fell to the deck.

Looking down, Moana saw Maui and Aukai trying to get their boat away from the fortress, but her attention was turned to more Kakamora soldiers coming her way.

Holding Hei-Hei in her mouth, Moana grabbed a rope and swung around the fortress. She then grabbed an arrow with a rope and jumped. She threw it at the mast with perfect aim and used her oar to slide down the rope.

She landed on top of Aukai, who fell on top of Maui, and they all lay in a giant pile. Hei-Hei was flung out of Moana's mouth and hit the mast, coughing the heart out of his mouth.

"Got it!" Moana said in victory, but her smile fell when she saw their exit beginning to get blocked off.

Standing up, Maui grabbed the oar and threw the teens off of him. He then pulled the arrow out of the mast, grabbed the sail's rope, and sped toward their closing exit. The Kakamora all shot darts at them but missed as the little canoe sped right through the gap. The two Kakamora boats then rammed into each other with the bigger one hitting the crash from behind.

Moana, Maui, and Aukai all turned back toward the wreck with smiles.