Chapter Seventeen

Finally, the canoe began to sail into a thick fog.

Maui stood up on top of the mast to better see the way. Smiling, he looked down at Aukai, who looked ahead while standing at the front of the boat. He noticed Aukai looking back at Moana, who took the boat's helm and was currently checking the current.

Maui smiled. It was obvious that Aukai was in love with her. The demigod noticed it in Aukai the past few weeks as he taught them how to wayfind, but he wasn't sure of the pirate's feelings. Until now.

Maui then looked down at Moana, who looked up at him.

"What?" she asked.

"I figured it out," Maui said. He then jumped down and showed her a tattoo on his back, which began to move.

"You know," he said, "the ocean used to love when I pulled up islands... 'cause your ancestors would sail her seas and find 'em. All those new lands, new villages. It was the water that connected 'em all.

"And if I were the ocean... I think I'd be looking for a curly-haired non-princess... to start that again." He turned to Aukai and continued.

"And as I said, the water connected the new lands and villages. But it also connected all different peoples.

"And again, if I were the ocean... I think that a shaggy-haired not-Prince-Charming... would make a good bridge between different peoples."

"That is literally the nicest thing you've ever said to us," Moana said with a smile.

"You probably should've saved it for Te Fiti, though," Aukai added. Maui just smiled and said two words.

"I did."

He then gestured to a large island that resembled a sleeping woman in the distance as he said, "Moana and Aukai of Motunui... I believe you both have officially delivered Maui across the great sea."

He then whispered screaming as Mini-Maui and groups of people on his arm began to mouth what he whispered.

"Moana! Aukai! Moana! Aukai! You're both so amazing!"

Moana and Aukai both laughed as Maui got serious again.

"It's time," he said, holding his hand out. Opening her necklace, Moana placed the heart of Te Fiti in his palm.

Maui picked up his fish hook and looked over at Te Fiti's island. Lava began to burst from the barrier islands. Te Kā was waking up.

Furrowing his brow in determination, Maui cracked his neck and rolled out his shoulders. He was ready for round two.

"Go on," Aukai told the demigod. "Go be a hero."

"Cheeeehoooo!" Maui whooped as he jumped upward. Transforming into a hawk, he began to fly towards the island. The heart was clutched in his talon.

"He'll be fine," Aukai told Moana. "Our mission is almost over."

Moana sighed as her smile fell.

"That's what I'm afraid of," she admitted. Aukai looked at her as she began to explain.

"For as long as I can remember, I've wanted to go to the ocean. But my parents never let me. What if when we go home, it'll be the same?"

"It won't," Aukai said with a reassuring smile.

"And what if it isn't?" Moana asked. "What do I do then?"

"Well, that's the best part, I guess," Aukai answered. "You find a new adventure."

Maui continued to soar towards the island when a fireball shot out of the smoke. Spreading his wings, Maui dodged more fire blasts as he neared Te Fiti.