Chapter Nineteen

After sailing all night, Moana began taking the direction of the rising sun.

Her determination grew as she saw specks of ash floating through the air. Te Kā was near.

As Moana neared the island, she tied her hair in a bun as she ran Hei-Hei through her plan.

"Te Kā can't follow us into the water," she said as she continued to get ready. "We make it past the barrier islands... we make it to Te Fiti.

"None of which you understand... because you are a chicken."

Hei-Hei clucked as Moana locked him in the storage compartment.

Moana held onto her oar and the rope of her sail as smoke rose out of the barrier islands. Te Kā roared as she woke up. Moana braced herself.

As soon as Te Kā reached up to smash her, Moana ran to the front of the boat and jumped. Her weight caused the boat to make an impossible turn. Running to the other side with a rope in her hand, Moana pulled, balancing the canoe as Te Kā's hand fell into the water.

Moana smiled as she made her way for an opening. However, Te Kā was able to burst her hand out of the rock it became and she crawled towards the keeper of the heart. Throwing a fireball, Te Kā created a giant splash, almost knocking Moana's canoe off balance.

The water around Moana turned to steam as Te Kā ran to the opening, blocking it off. But the demon grew shocked when she saw Moana sailing towards the other entrance. Opening her sail, Moana gained enough speed to fly through.

Roaring, Te Kā blasted the top of a mountain with fire, causing rocks to fall over Moana and in her path. The heart flew out of her necklace as Moana lost her balance.

"No!" she shouted as the heart almost fell into the sea. But Hei-Hei found a way out and picked up the glowing stone.

"Hei-Hei!" Moana said in joy as her animal sidekick carried the heart to her. "Nice work!" After placing the heart back in the necklace, Moana sailed towards Te Fiti's island.

"Te Fiti," she said as she saw the shape ahead of her. However, Te Kā roared as she knocked the canoe over, sending Moana, Hei-Hei, and all their provisions into the water.

Panicking, Moana swam to the surface and struggled to fix her boat. Looking up, she saw Te Kā roaring as she reached towards her. Moana screamed and braced herself, only to look up when she heard a hawk's cry.

Grunting, Maui changed into his regular form and sliced Te Kā's hand at the wrist with his hook before turning back into a bird.

"Maui!" Moana said with a smile.

Changing back, Maui landed on the boat with a smile.

"You came back," Moana said.

Maui chuckled as he looked down at Mini-Maui. It was his idea.

Moana's smile fell as she realized something. "But your hook. One more hit and..."

"Te Kā's gotta catch me first," Maui said with a confident smile. But it soon fell. "I'm sorry about Aukai. My hook rebounded after the hit, and... I didn't mean..."

"It's okay," Moana said with a smile. "It was an accident. I don't hate you."

Maui gave her an appreciative smile as he pulled the boat upright with his hook.

"I got your back, Chosen One," he said as he got ready to do battle with his mortal enemy one last time. "Go save the world."

"Maui," Moana said as her friend turned toward her. "Thank you." Maui smiled as he said two words he knew too well.