Chapter Three

Moana's first day as acting chief... didn't go as planned.

First, she helped the cooks of the village decide what should be next on the menu, which was decided as chicken with a side of pork chops. She then helped teach a dance class and with hut maintenance. It was a good day.

But everything changed when the fisherman ran up to her and her father.

"Chief!" he shouted. "There's something on the beach you need to see."

"What is it?" Tui asked.

"I can't explain," the fisherman answered. "But you better hurry. He's fading."

That got their attention. Without asking any questions, Moana and Tui ran to the beach, following the fisherman.

"We don't know where he came from," he explained as they ran from the cool jungle floor to the warm sandy beach.

"We were about to start our fishing runs," the fisherman explained, "and we just found him, lying on the beach unconscious. He was in bad condition. I came to get you as soon as we found him."

Finally, they approached a ring of fishermen. They were looking down at something in the sand.

"Make way," Tui ordered. The fishermen all obeyed and parted. What she saw made Moana's eyes grow wide.

Lying in the sand was a boy about her age. His brown hair was messy and unkempt. His sand-colored skin was pale and his eyes were closed. His clothes were strange. Why was his black tunic cut into two pieces that wrapped around his legs? What was that white thing the blue and gold covered? Why were there brown snakes wrapped around his waist and torso? And most importantly, why did he hide his feet?

 Why was his black tunic cut into two pieces that wrapped around his legs? What was that white thing the blue and gold covered? Why were there brown snakes wrapped around his waist and torso? And most importantly, why did he hide his feet?

"Did he come with any weapons?" Tui asked the fishermen.

"Just this," the fisherman from before answered as he stepped forward. In his hand was a strange metal stick with a golden bubble at the bottom. One side of the stick appeared to be sharp enough to cut through flesh.

As the men conversed with Tui, Moana knelt at the boy's side. Curious, she brushed some of his wet hair aside from his face.

"He needs our help," she finally said.

"We don't even know who he is, Moana," Tui said.

"Well, he could be a friend," Moana argued. "If we want answers, he can tell us. But he needs to wake up first. So let's bring him to the village and help him. When he wakes up, he can tell us his story."

Sighing, Tui nodded in agreement. But he did not like this.

——

Moana sat in the boy's care all day.

She force-fed his unconscious body medicine and sat by his side as he slept to see if he would awaken. It was long and tiring work, but it was worth it when the boy groaned and opened his sea-blue eyes.

"You're awake!" Moana said with a smile. She then ran to the hut's entrance. "Mom, Dad, he's awake!" Tui and Sina then entered, followed by Tala and the council of elders.

"Where am I?" the boy groaned as he rubbed his head.

"We will answer your questions in due time," Tui promised. "But first, it's only fair if you answer ours. Where did you come from?"

The boy furrowed his brow, but then he winced. It was like trying to remember seemed to hurt his head.

"I don't remember," he answered. "I just... remember a storm."

"A storm?" Sina asked.

"Yeah," the boy answered. "I was... some kind of sailor. Our ship went through that storm and was wrecked. I must have hit my head because that's all I remember."

"Do you remember anything else?" Tui asked, not buying the amnesia. The boy furrowed his brow.

"Just... my flag," he answered. "A black flag with a white skull and two crossed bones." The elders whispered in hushed tones, but Moana was able to catch three words.

"He's a pirate."

Moana looked back at the boy. She had heard tales about pirates, bloodthirsty thieves that ruled the ocean under a flag with a skull and crossbones, but he didn't seem to match that description. He seemed kind and gentle. He didn't seem to want to hurt anyone.

"Do you remember your name?" Moana asked the boy. He shook his head.

"No," he answered. "I don't know who I am or where I come from."

"Well, you're here at Motunui now," Moana answered. "So, why don't we get you settled for a while, Aukai?"

"Moana," Tui snapped. "What are you talking about?"

"What? Aukai?" she asked. "Well, we need to call him something, and he remembers being some type of sailor. So, I thought we could call him Aukai, a name that means 'seafarer' until he remembers his name."

"Aukai," the boy echoed. "I like that. Seems fitting."

"Well, we can't let him stay here," Tui argued.

"What if he stays here in the main hall?" Sina suggested. "He could help with the village maintenance and the fishermen until he's well enough to leave."

"The legends are coming true," Tala said. "A stranger has come to our island. The heart must be found and restored and he must go."

"Mother, enough with that," Tui said before turning back to Aukai.

"Very well," he finally said. "You are welcome to stay here until your memory returns. Until then, you must earn your keep. Work with the men of our village, and put yourself to good use.

"I am leaving you in my daughter's care. She will show you what to do."

"Thank you, sir," Aukai said. Moana then stood up and grabbed his hand and helped him to his feet.

"Come with me," she said. "You've got a lot to learn."