Chapter Ten

Screaming, Moana charged at the boulder, ramming into it with her shoulder.

She then winced as she rubbed it before growling at it as if Maui could hear. She then looked down at Aukai, who tried prying the boulder away from the cave with his cutlass without bending or breaking the blade.

"It's no use," she said. "It won't budge."

"Well, what if there's a back exit?" Aukai suggested. "Maybe the cave is actually a tunnel."

"That's a good idea," she said. "Let's move." Sheathing his sword, Aukai followed her deeper into the cave.

"You've gotta be kidding me," Aukai said when they reached the end.

There was no back exit, but there was a giant statue of Maui flexing his biceps.

Looking up, Moana saw a hole in the ceiling.

"I've got an idea," she said to Aukai. "Are you with me?"

"Always," Aukai answered. Moana smiled.

She then ran up to the ladder and climbed up to the statue's shoulder. Aukai joined. Together, they both used their legs to push the statue away from the wall and toward the ground. Using Rock-Maui's momentum, they jumped up into the hole before the statue fell to the ground, and crumbled to pieces.

Grunting, Moana and Aukai did a strange crawl-climb to get out of the cave.

——

"Good riddance, you filthy pile of pebbles," Maui shouted at the island as he began to sail away.

Mini-Maui just crossed his arms and looked up at Maui with a crooked eyebrow as he tapped his foot.

"Oh, no, no, no," Maui said to his tattoo. "Don't look at me like that. It's a beautiful cave. It'll make a wonderful honeymoon suite and home to raise the family. They're both gonna love it." He pulled out Hei-Hei and set him down on the deck.

"And I'm going to love you in ma belly," Maui said to the chicken. "Now, let's fatten you up, drumstick."

Maui dropped a pile of feed in front of the chicken. However, to the demigod's confusion, Hei-Hei began pecking the deck, not the fruits and vegetables Maui left for him. Using his finger, Maui guided Hei-Hei to the pile of feed.
——

Grunting, Moana pulled herself out of the hole before helping Aukai out.

"Jeez, I hate that guy," Aukai said, referring to Maui. Moana and Aukai then noticed the demigod sailing away after stealing their boat.

Roaring, Moana ran toward the edge and jumped off. Aukai, who was so angry he stayed silent, jumped after her.

Maui turned just in time to see the two teenagers land in the water with two splashes.

"I could watch that all day," Maui admitted with a smile after they resurfaced. "Okay. Enjoy the island. And don't forget to name a kid after me. Maui, out!" Pulling the sail's rope, Maui picked up speed.

"No!" Moana called to the retreating Maui as she and Aukai, who tried to process Maui's message, tread water. "Stop! Hey! You have to put back the heart!"

"Well, we have two options," Aukai finally said as he and Moana turned back to face the island. "One, stay here for the rest of our lives and wait for the darkness to kill us. Or two, we try to catch Maui."

The two teenagers shared a nod and chose the most logical option.

They began swimming towards Maui.

Just then, the ocean picked them both up. After plunging them both deep into the water, a rapid and fast current appeared around them, carrying them to the boat. Upon reaching the canoe, the ocean spat them out, causing Hei-Hei to stop eating and Maui to stand up.