Chapter Five

Sina found her daughter angrily throwing sticks into the sand.

Moana sat on a curved palm tree. Her flower crown was taken off, taking away some of the princess look.

"Well, it's not like you said it in front of your dad," Sina said sarcastically as she sat next to her daughter. "Standing on a boat."

"I didn't say go beyond the reef, because I want to be on the ocean," Moana said bitterly.

"But you still do," Sina said, her smile falling. "He's hard on you because..."

"Because he doesn't get me," Moana answered.

"Because he was you," Sina corrected. She remembered the night that changed her husband forever as she explained.

"Drawn to the ocean. Down by the shore. He took a canoe, Moana. He crossed the reef and found an unforgiving sea—waves like mountains.

"His best friend begged to be on that boat. Your dad couldn't save him.

"He's hoping he can save you."

Moana let that message sink in. Her dad, the most paranoid man on the island, broke his rule and crossed the reef. He lost his best friend? She had no idea.

"Sometimes..." Sina said, "who we wish we were, what we wish we could do..." she brushed some hair behind Moana's ear as she continued, "it's just not meant to be."

Standing up, Sina walked back to the village, leaving her daughter to her thoughts.

"I've been staring at the edge of the water," Moana sang as she walked up to the ocean's edge.

"Long as I can remember

"Never really knowing why

"I wish I could be the perfect daughter

"But I come back to the water

"No matter how hard I try."

As she continued to sing, she began wandering across the island with Pua joining, until she came to the one place she always went to.

"Every turn I take

"Every trail I track

"Every path I make

"Every road leads back

"To the place I know

"Where I cannot go

"Where I long to be."

Smiling, she ran up to one of the canoes on the beach.

"See the line where the sky meets the sea

"It calls me

"And no one knows

"How far it goes

"If the wind in my sail on the sea

"Stays behind me

"One day I'll know."

Pua walked up to her with an oar in his mouth, which she took but threw into the sand.

"If I go, there's just no telling how far I'll go."

She made her way back to the village as she continued to sing.

"I know everybody on this island

"Seems so happy on this island

"Everything is by design

"I know everybody on this island