Chapter 21

November 3rd, 1975.

Apparently, Sirius Black turning sixteen meant that the whole school had to suffer the consequences of the absolute chaos the birthday boy's friends were causing. It was Wednesday, and students definitely weren't in the mood to put up with their impractical jokes all day long. But they did. It's not like anyone could stop them. It was as if every time a professor was about to catch them, they'd know about it and would run the opposite way or magically disappear on the spot.

How could that be? Most people wondered. Morgan was tempted to tell. But then again, she had to remind herself time and time again throughout that day that she was very fond of that map and cloak. And of course, of her very unexpected friends. More the first than the latter, to be fair. For example when her charms class was suspended because of a sudden flooding in the classroom that could not be stopped, or when all the books in the library had their words read out loud by some mystical voice, disrupting the silence in there. Just imagine thousands of books, their contents reverberating in the room, all at the same time. It was worse than a crowd during a quidditch game. You were hearing about a recipe for perfect pumpkin juice along with the extended uses of snails in different potions and thousands of years of history. All at the same time. Morgan did not study as she had planned. She was kind of dreading her homework, though, so it was fine.

Many students were personally attacked, so at least she was grateful she wasn't one of them. Because in that case, sixteen would be the age at which Sirius Black tragically passed away. Not just another birthday.

Then, during dinner, there was also a dance number. The boys wore dresses. She honestly couldn't understand how after that they had the courage to go and make use of that attention to flirt their dinner away. Was it the confidence that didn't immediately get those girls to spit them in the face? Morgan wouldn't know. Well, it's not true. She kind of did. It had been funny.

Morgan had left dinner a bit early to go get ready and was now in her dorm, torn about what the fuck people wore in the muggle world. Her closet was a goddamn dream. But everything was way too fancy. She didn't own a single pair of jeans. In fact, she had never worn any. The problem wasn't being a witch. It was being a rich one. Always looking presentable and like a Gaunt did not come cheap.

The witch was lying on the floor in starfish form. There was always a comfort in it that a bed did not bring. Existential crisis? Straight to the floor to contemplate your life. Outfit crisis was an acceptable excuse as well. Clothes were scattered all around her, and the girl was considering just staying back this one time.

A knock came from the door, but the girl didn't move. Whoever it was, they could fuck right off. She didn't get the chance to scream that at them because the door swayed open, and the next thing she knew, a pair of well-polished black shoes were in her line of vision when she turned her head.

"Why are you on the floor?" Said the person that, when Morgan looked up, saw was Regulus.

"I don't want to go," she said with a pout. Reg only raised a brow, but when she didn't move, he proceeded to lay next to her looking at the ceiling for a few seconds before speaking.

"Why is that?" He asked, his tone not judging, "Did he say something?"

"No, it's not that. You know I'm immune to your brother's attitude," she replied, and then dramatically sighed, "I don't have anything to wear,"

Regulus made a show of looking at all the clothes on the floor and the piles that were in her closet. Her wardrobe at Hogwarts only being the hundredth part of her actual one at home. "Morgan," He said seriously, "You've got to be kidding me,"

"Ugh, you just don't get it," she scoffed and pushed him a little as best she could in her position, "You don't deserve floor privilege. It's only for people with actual problems,"