Chapter 25

A/N I updated two chapters together, so read chapter 24 before this.

December 1st, 1975.

Morgan had been outright panicking from the moment she felt someone waking her up. She hadn't meant to hurt Sirius. That was just a happy coincidence. But from the moment she jolted awake and saw the terrible storm outside her window, the very waited lightning storm, she instantly understood why Sirius was there and braced herself. She was so fucked if anything went wrong.

She had put on a wide smile and had made the little journey as fast as possible because if the storm was over so was the whole thing. She'd have to start over. But also because if she thought about it too much she would probably drown in the fear of fucking it up. She had read, extensively, about animagus transfigurations and what could go wrong. And had learned that death was not the worst fate she could face.

Her only reassurance that the process she had done was correct was that she had seen the four boys in front of her in their animagus form a couple of times now. And everything seemed to be fine and normal with them. As long as they were talking about their animal forms, of course.

She was also very grateful they had taken the whole thing seriously and decided to go and get her. Morgan would've never heard the storm and woken up by herself. She had taken precautions for that. The only reason she had shared her plans with her favorite ghost in the castle was so he would go and tell her as soon as some rain made an appearance. Now that she thought about it, that part of her plan had been pretty useless because the Bloody Baron had not shown his grey face with the report he had promised to give her.

She had planned the route to the forest and the place to hide the phial with the tonic from the moment the marauders had explained the process to her. She was ready. Except for the fact that she didn't have a single drop of happiness in her because her spiritual animal had refused to show itself. The little bitch. It better be good after all the trouble it had caused her.

The marauders looked as nervous as she felt and that made her feel a little better. If anything went wrong they'd have to live with that for the rest of their lives. She would certainly make it her mission to remind it to them, even if she couldn't speak like a human anymore or if she was a bloody ghost. She would haunt them for all eternity.

Morgan was very aware that Sirius was only trying to distract her, but that didn't mean his words weren't any less true. So making her angry had actually been a good idea because it made her decide that if getting on with the final steps meant he would shut that mouth of his, then it was worth it.

After she said the words she had been repeating over and over for weeks, she felt it. The double beating of her heart. As if there were two of them. Good sign. According to Remus and many many books.

Morgan saw it then. Just a flash of it. But before she could process the image and her emotions about it, everything started to hurt. Her whole body felt like it was on fire, being burned alive, probably what hell felt like. Wait, was she dead? Stupid question. Death was probably a children's game compared to what she was feeling right now. She had enough control of herself in those first seconds to drop her wand. She decided that getting rid of her clothes before attempting the shift would've been the smart choice. Now, she could feel the silk of her night clothes melding into her skin. At the first feeling of that, all she could do was pray that Slytherin's locket survived this, because if the transformation didn't kill her, her parents certainly would. She wanted to scream. But couldn't. Wanted to stop the process. But didn't have time.

What felt like an eternity of pain had only been a flash of light from the sky. A mere second. How could anyone feel so many things in such a small amount of time?