[ 7 ]

"I've reviewed your application and recommendations for the research project

"I've reviewed your application and recommendations for the research project. I must say that I am impressed with the amount of work you have put in to build your mathematical foundations. However, there are still a few more classes you must take and a few more topics to familiarize yourself in before you can truly begin working with us."

Any pride Songmin had from the professor's compliments about her "mathematical foundations" deflated at his last sentence. She shifted on her weight from her right foot to her left, bag feeling heavier on her shoulder than usual.

"That doesn't mean you will never get to work with me. I will send you a list of the few classes you need and some materials you can read to help you understand a bit more about what exactly our topic is about. I see potential in you and I look forward to getting to work with you in the future if you choose to make choices that will allow for you to join my research team."

Yes! Feeling elated at not having been completely rejected, Songmin's smile widened and, sensing that he'd said all he had to say, she bowed, thanked him for his time and consideration, and left the lecture room, a small skip in her step.

Now, should I go to the library or go home?

Songmin had begun going to the university library about a week ago, finding some of the big whiteboards in library study rooms useful for some of her math assignments. However, she didn't have any math assignments for a few days and the only work she truly had to focus on now was an essay for her Korean class, one that she'd tried to put off for as long as possible but couldn't avoid anymore since it was due in two days. 

She didn't need a giant whiteboard for writing an essay and her bed was looking real comfortable right about now, but that was the precise reason why she shouldn't work at home if she wanted to get anything done.

School exhaustion was already catching up with her and she'd drifted off into sleep multiple times in the past week while trying to study, mostly at her apartment and once during her shift at the Koi Record Store, where Mrs. Ki had woken her up with concern on her face and a hot cup of caffeinated tea to help Songmin stay awake for the last bit of her shift.

Deciding to just go to the library, where the hard wooden chairs would keep her awake, she was halfway down the hall from the lecture room when her phone buzzed in her pocket. Taking it out and unlocking it, there was a text notification from a number she didn't recognize.

[ unknown number ]

hey songmin! it's me, jisung :)

Songmin took a second to save the number before she could forget.

[ Jisung Park 🐣 ]

Hello. What's up?

im taking a math class this semester and need help with my homework T-T

Do you want me to call you or should I come to help you in person?