[ 20 ]

"I thought you promised me you left all of your work at home

"I thought you promised me you left all of your work at home."

Songmin set her pen down and looked up from her spot on the floor, surrounded by papers arranged in an organized mess that covered nearly half of the ground of the room. Eunhye stared at her from the door, eyebrow raised, arms crossed, and leaning against the doorframe. "I remember you telling me you wouldn't do any work on this trip."

Bumping her feet against the ground a few times, Songmin sighed. "I know. I figured that since we've had dinner already, it would be okay if I did a bit of math..." Her voice trailed off as a sudden revelation struck her and she quickly bent her head back down to scribble down a few more equations, cross referencing a sheet to her left to make sure she wasn't contradicting anything she'd written earlier. This is certainly one way to think about it, though I'm not sure if it'll get very far. Maybe I should try approaching this in a similar way to that one solution I tried a couple weeks ago. Now, which paper did I write that one on?

The forgotten Eunhye, who was still standing in the doorway, frowned at the girl now flipping through the pages around her. "Songie, you should take this chance to rest while school is out. I know you love math, but the next semester will roll around faster than you expect and I don't want you to be burnt out when it arrives."

Songmin found the page she was looking for and moved it closer so that she could see it better before responding. "I won't burn out, unnie, I promise. What I'm doing-" she gestured at the papers, "-is all for fun. I enjoy this too much to ever get tired of it."

Although still not satisfied, Eunhye didn't want to argue and dropped the topic, instead switching to what she'd originally came here intending to do. "We're going on a night walk. If you're at a good pausing place, you should come with us."

Songmin took a look at her work, gauging where she was at. I haven't made too much progress, and there are a few more approaches I want to try. But, she looked up again at Eunhye, who was watching her expectantly, I should go. I can work on this later. Unfortunately, Eunhye is right and I should spend my vacation with the people around me.

"Give me a second to clean up my papers."

Eunhye's downturned expression flipped to a content smile and she uncrossed her arms, pushing off the doorframe. "I'm glad you're coming. We'll be waiting for you in the living room." She slid the door closed, careful not to slam it.

Somewhat hesitantly, Songmin did as she said she would and gathered her papers, carefully picking them up in a specific order, one that followed her train of thought while working so that she could easily start up working again next time. Securing the papers back into their thick binder, she plucked her jacket from her bed, tucked her phone into the back pocket of her loose jeans, and left her and Chaeyoon's room, slipping the jacket on as she made her way down the stairs to the living room.

A small group sat together around the birth coffee table playing Jenga. 

"Why would you do that!" Chenle exclaimed, nearly slamming the table in his sudden burst of energy.