[ 8 ]

"I finally get it! Songmin, you are a genius," Jisung exclaimed, closing his notebook and shoving it into his backpack

"I finally get it! Songmin, you are a genius," Jisung exclaimed, closing his notebook and shoving it into his backpack. Songmin leaned back against the wall and smiled, tired from helping Jisung with the problem but happy that he was finally able to understand what a derivative was and what the limit definition meant.

Although she hadn't been counting, Songmin was sure that it had taken her fifteen minutes minimum to help Jisung grasp the concept that derivative was instantaneous rate of change of a function and even longer to actually work their way through the homework problem itself. About half of the time was spent with Jisung listening to Songmin talk, a quarter spent with Songmin listening to Jisung's questions, and the last quarter spent with the two sitting in silence while Jisung tried to process what she was trying to teach him.

Regardless of the struggle, Songmin felt a sort of pride towards the boy. Even though he claimed he didn't like math and it took longer than she'd expected for him to understand what she considered to be basic concepts, he had been actively engaged in trying to finish his work and that was, in her eyes, what was most important. No matter his math skill level, she respected his work ethic.

Now that she was done with helping Jisung, Songmin allowed herself to turn her attention to the other two who were in the room, Renjun and Donghyuck.

Despite the glaringly evident teasing and playful relationship between them, Donghyuck and Renjun were a good combination when it came to getting stuff done. Songmin watched as Donghyuck explained to Renjun which poses he wanted pictures of, executing moves she'd seen in dances which she only now really realized were moves specifically posed as photo opportunities.

As Donghyuck explained and demonstrated the poses, Renjun moved around him to capture him at different angles, occasionally giving the little suggestion or request for Donghyuck to adjust himself so as to make for a better picture.

Songmin felt her gaze glued to Renjun as he crouched a few feet away from Donghyuck, instructing him to turn a little to the left. She watched as his eyes noticed details she probably never would've caught if she'd been the one behind the camera, small things such as how Donghyuck's arm framed his face or how a slight tilt of the chin would allow for better lighting of the face.

"Songmin, when's your birthday?"

Jisung's question pulled Songmin's attention away from Renjun. She looked at the boy, who sat a few feet away from her, also watching the others. "I was born in December of 2001."

Jisung's eyebrows raised at her response. "I thought you were younger than me, but I guess not. Does that mean I need to call you noona now?"

Songmin hastily objected, shaking her hands in a 'no' gesture. "No, no, no. Please don't call me noona, it feels odd for me to be referred to by honorifics. Just Songmin is okay."

"Okay. You're like Chenle. He said the same thing to me." He paused for a second, his tone indicating he would continue talking but was just taking a moment to collect his thoughts.