Redemption

9 bodies were found deep in the woods, all of them buried in shallow graves, hooked to IVs containing some kind of a drug. They were covered with mushrooms that grew from their skin like some kind of a fertile ground. The sight was the most horrifying thing Eliana had ever seen.

"Oh, God, how do all of you manage to stomach this kind of stuff?" - Eliana frowned, covering her mouth.

"You'd better get used to it quickly. You'll be seeing a lot worse." - Beverly responded, unburying another body with gloves.

"It's easy to say, much harder to do."

"Okay everyone, it's time to move back, give Will some space!" - Jack shouted as Will came closer to the scene.

He looked deeply troubled, even more than usual since Hobbs's death. Dark circles formed under his eyes that radiated with constant fear. This sight surely wasn't gonna help him. He closed his eyes, working his magic. The team looked from a distance with admiration and worry.

Eliana silently decided to try the "closing your eyes" technique as well. After all, she was here to learn from Will. She couldn't see things as Will saw them, but rather feel the killer's feelings. It wasn't as vivid, and she didn't imagine herself in the position of a killer. She was a passive standbyer, promptly studying the body language and the expressions of the killer, trying to understand what led them to this madness. She imagined a sad man burying the bodies, visiting them every day, changing the IVs and observing the mushrooms that grew from them. He wasn't violent, he took care of them, made them comfortable and oblivious to the fact they were dying.

Will opened his eyes with a gasp, as if he'd just seen a ghost. -"He kept them alive, made a fertilized ground so that the mushrooms could grow. He grew a garden. He's gonna want to make another one soon."

"The killer is lonely. Misunderstood" - Eliana added, surprising everyone around her.

"Yes... That's why he wanted to create... A connection." - Will was suprised himself. "He's someone from the medical field, a doctor, or a pharmacist."

Their discussion was interrupred with a horrific gasp coming from a supposed 'dead body'. Everything started to move fast, relevant points being lost in the panic.

It was later continued in the forensic unit, where sugar in the catheters was discoverd. The killer induced diabetic comas, keeping victims unconcious. It didn't take long to make a connection to a pharmacist named Elton Stammens. However, before the police arrived, Stammens escaped without leaving a trace.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Abigail's hospital room had become a standard meeting place for Hannibal, Will and Eliana. All of them sharing strong feelings for the young girl, some guilt, some obligation. They would regularly switch places waiting for Abigail to wake up. It was an unspoken agreement that they would never leave her alone.

Once again, with the suspense surrounding the case, Eliana came to the hospital room feeling as if it was easier to process her thoughts while looking at the comatose Abigail. She found Will sleeping on the couch, his head on his folded arm. What an uncomfortable position, yet, it provides a feeling of safety. Will's expression was peaceful, something Eliana hadn't seen since before their first interaction. Being in the same room as Abigail, even asleep, reminded Will of things he saved, not things he destroyed, and it was the only room where he didn't have nightmares.

Eliana smiled softly, letting the sight burn into her mind, replacing the one with people covered in fungi. She grabbed a blanket that laid on the window, covering Will slowly. She got on her knees, not wanting to let the moment go just yet, putting a hand gently on his restful face. I wish you would always look this blissful. I wish you never have to see violence again.

Will opened his eyes sluggishly, making Eliana remove her hand in a panic. "Oh, Lord, why did I do it. I'm so stupid." - She thought.

"You know I don't do... touching." - Will's voice was hoarse.

"I'm so sorry. How long were you awake?" - Eliana touched her hair in a nervous manner.

"From when you entered the room." - He was ruthless.

"Ahh... Y-You looked so blissful and something just came over me..." - She rambled, trying to ease the awkwardness.

"Well, I guess... Physical contact is fine once in a while. It felt good." - Will cut her off very successfuly.

She just stayed silent, completely flustered, "...Then I guess I'm forgiven this time."

"Consider yourself forgiven. And... I was impressed with your profiling today once again. It feels good not to be the only... Unstable freak who understands killers."- Will spoke, slowly getting up in a sitting postition.

Eliana sat next to him, "Everyone needs someone to relate to. This talent is like a beautiful curse that brings you closer to people but burns you with the intensity. I want to be able to understand you, Mr. Graham. I don't like seeing you in pain. If you ever feel unstable... I wouldn't mind sharing that feeling if that made you feel better." - She confessed, thinking of the scared look he had at the crime scene.

"I am... Fine." - He lied, realizing she probably knew.

"Fine or not, you should go home sleep."

Will agreed, leaving Eliana to watch over Abigail.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Eliana sat beside Abigail with her headphones in while studying for an exam. It was already late, but she had no intention of leaving until the morning. An all-nighter is a thing that could save her grades that were jeopardized since joining the behavioral unit.

A male nurse, apparently, came in. He wore a mask, but she recognized it wasn't any of the regular nurses or doctors.

"Who are you?" - She asked suspiciously, taking her headphones off.

"No one was supposed to be here." - The man said before taking out a syringe from his pocket, sticking the needle in Eliana's upper arm before she could react.

"Ahh!" - She gasped, feeling her muscles relax. She tried to get up, but ended up on the floor instead as her legs got wobbly.

The man removed the blood pressure wire from Abigail's arm and started to unhook her bed.

"Where are you taking her?! Let her go!" - Eliana whispered, not being able to move or stop Stemmens. She still hasn't redeemed herself, and she couldn't fail Abigail again.

"To make a very important connection." - The man anwsered, continuing to move Abigail's bed.

"You... Are Elton Stemmens... Aren't you?" - She managed to assess, feeling her conciousness slip away, "I understand... You. I understand the... Loneliness. Take me instead. Let her go..."

"You do?" - Stemmens looked at her in suprise, feeling a rush of emotion, "You would be able to connect with me?"

"Yes..." - Eliana slipped away, the last thing she saw being Stemmen's face getting closer to her.