Bad reputation

Will burst through the door of Jack's office, a frantically heavy breath on his lips. "Where is she?! What happened?"

"Oh, I'm glad you finally showed!" - Jack jumped up. "Now, please take a breath, you look like you've ran a damn marathon!"

"Right." - Will took an exaggerated breath, "NOW tell me."

"It's like you've already heard. Eliana has suddenly appeared in Pipestone. Together with a dead body. She'll be questioned soon."

"Can I talk to her?"

"Unfortunately, the FBI doesn't want us to participate. They think we're too personally close." - Jack raised both eyebrows, "Which I think, is true. Especially you."

Will closed the door behind him, running a hand across his face. "He's setting her up. Do you still not see it, Jack?"

"You're still saying the same thing, huh?"

"Am I more trustworthy now that I'm out of prison?"

"You may be out, but there are still those who belive you've lost your mind." - Jack paused, "But, let's hear what she has to say. I begged Agent Bates to let us listen."

They walked to the interrogation room where Eliana sat, a thick mirror glass separating them. She tapped her finger on the desk nervously, oblivious to the fact she was being observed by Will.

A young, tall agent walked in, making her look up. He sat across her silently, putting files on the desk. "I'm Agent Bates. Here to ask you some questions."

"Right." - She responded quietly.

"So, what exactly were you doing this morning?"

"I honestly don't remember."

"What do you remember?"

"It's still hazy but... I've been kept inside a room. An old factory. I think it's been about 2 months."

"And who was it that kept you captive?"

"It's..." - Eliana swallowed, "Hannibal Lecter."

"Why would he do that?" - Agent Bates furrowed his brows.

"Because I figured him out." - Eliana clenched her fist, "I figured he killed Rosie."

"Huh." - He opened his mouth slightly, "What made you think that? Do you have any proof?"

"I... I don't think so. Not right now. But, agent Bates PLEASE." - She looked with begging eyes, "Please look into him right now. There was a girl imprisoned at the same place called Miriam Lass, she might have escaped."

Jack jumped at the metion of Miriam behind glass, holding himself back from jumping right in.

"Miss Holt, you'd have to give me some proof. Where is this place?" - Agent Bates continued.

"I... I have no idea. I didn't see."

"Well, we have to get one thing straight. You basically digged up Rosie Mills's body in the woods. You used to know her when you were younger, and she was murdered. Her heart... At your desk. The killer was never found, but you went out of your way to bury your past. Then, joined the FBI. Presumably to find something out. But unofficially, you were the main suspect of her murder."

"So, what are you suggesting?" - Eliana bit her lip.

"Eliana, you had drugs in your system. Hallucinogens, specifically. Which could explain the temporary memory loss. Your car was found a mile from the woods, packed with drugs and files connected to Rosie's murder. How do you expain that? And how did you know where she was buried?" - He spoke in a cold voice.

"Can't you see?" - She ran a hand over her forehead, "He's setting me up! Please Agent, look for Miriam!"

"Are you sure you haven't made it up? Are you sure that wasn't a fabric of your imagination, caused by the drugs?"

"I wasn't doing drugs!"

"The facts say you did. They also suggest you've been involved in the murder of Rosie Mills." - He paused, then gave her a serious look, "I think you killed her. Or, hired someone else to do it, maybe manipulated them. Then, you felt guilty, did drugs and tried to convince yourself you didn't do it. You became obsessed, and then your mind convinced you someone else did it. And Hannibal Lecter was the one your delusion decided to blame."

"Nice theory, but it makes no sense. Why would I EVER decide to kill Rosie?"

"You tell me, Eliana. How was your relationship with her?"

"It was good." - Eliana looked down, "We were best friends."

"No, I don't think it was. Everyone knows you fought the night she died. And that was the last time anyone saw her."

"It was a stupid teenage fight!" - She cried, "I've had enough of this nonsense, I have to speak to someone who'll listen to reason!"

"Oh, we're listening. You're just making no sense. You claim one thing, but have no proof. On the other hand, we hold a lot against you." - He raised his voice, bringing his face closer, "Did you kill Rosie Mills?!"

"No." - Eliana shook her head, "I... I'd never do that."

"Were you involved in ANY way in her murder?!"

"No..." - She said quietly this time.

"Then, Eliana..." - The agent lowered his voice, "Why do you sound so unsure?"

Eliana stayed quiet, bringing her head to her chest.

"You have nothing to say, I see. Then, we'll talk later again."

Agent Bates excused himself out of the room, leaving her alone for a while. He switched with another agent, taking turns in questioning, trying to make her confess. No confession was made as she continued repeating the same thing, getting awfully nervous at the mention of her involment. Soon enough almost 48 hours passed, as Jack and Will were not allowed to see her, under of pretext of "we're so close to making her spill the confession."

Will sat as he watched her misery unravel, only a simple glass separating them. He longed to touch her, fantasizing about lifting the chair and breaking the mirror with it.

"Hey, Will. We have some great news." - Jack entered the room, "Looks like they'll have to let her go if she doesn't confess in an hour. The judge can't get an arrest warrant. There's no witnesses, and the evidence is only circumstantial. She was a minor at the time of murder, and the judge doesn't believe she had the practical skill of surgically cutting out a heart."

"Right. That's... Incredible." - Will's face lightened up for a second, but the fury in his eyes returned quickly, "But it means... She'll only physically be free. Everyone believes she did it. Everyone knows... And even those who believed her before, won't anymore. She'll be deemed a killer  without ever experiencing jail. For the rest of her life."

"That's right." - Jack frowned, "There's no way she'll be let back into the behavioral unit. Probably the academy, too. At best, she'll be deemed mentally unfit."

"So... This was his intention all along." - Will formed a bitter grin, looking at Jack, "Still don't belive me?"

"If Miriam is really involved... I don't think I dismiss your claims just yet."

--------------------------------------------------------------

Eliana walked free from the interrogation room, and as unfamiliar agents gave her sour looks, the realization hit her all at once.

No one is gonna trust me now. In their minds, I'm a mastermind who plotted a murder at only 17.

So, where do I go now?

--------------------------------------------------------------

Author's note: Sorry for not updating sooner! I'm trying but writing is COMPLICATED af.