Pyromancy?

When Will opened his eyes, instead of laying in warm sheets, he stood on cold cement. He blinked a few more times, thinking he must still be dreaming. But the sensation was far too real as his feet were so cold he could barely feel them, so either he was losing his mind in a hallucination, or he just woke up in the middle of a road. What the hell am I doing here? Did I sleepwalk?

His panicked mind tried to find a reasonable explanation, trying to convince himself that maybe it was a normal occurance to walk a few miles in your sleep. A few miles? Actually, he had no idea how far he'd walked. He looked around, trying to identify his surroundings. They looked very familiar, so it couldn't have been too far from his house. It was already dawn, so it must've been around 7AM. It was a desolate road with little traffic, but at least one car will pass by eventually.

Will tried to orientate himself towards his house, figuring he must start walking if he doesn't plan on dying of hypothermia. The truth was he had no idea which way his house was, so he started walking north hoping he guessed it right.

After what felt like hours of walking, his small house came into vision. Relief flooded through him, and he hurried towards it, barely moving his sore and poorly circulated feet. He felt happy he wasn't that far from the house as if walking a smaller distance in his sleep somehow made the issuse less concerning. The sun has now fully risen, making him fully aware that he wasn't dreaming.

He opened the door, thanking God they weren't locked, quickly going towards the fireplace and trying to lit a fire with frozen hands. Winston and the other dogs gathered around him, whimpering sadly, as if they understood their owner's current misery. He struggled to lit a match as his hands were shaking so much, making him even more frustrated.

*ding dong* - The doorbell rang.

The dogs ran towards the door, preparing to greet the yet unknown guest. Will debated whether he should open, thinking that he shouldn't let anyone see him in this state.

*ding dong*

The annoying guest wouldn't give up, so Will decided it would be less annoying to open the door.

"Hello." - Eliana stood at the doorstep awkwardly, "And hello." - She greeted the dogs additionally, seeing their warm welcome.

"Hello to you too." - Will greeted her in suprise.

"I'm sorry to bother you this early, Mr, Graham. I called but you weren't picking up, and I figured you'd be awake by 7 as you usually wake up early..." - She rambled, trying to ease the tension from their last meeting, but swiftly noticing his sickly apperance, "Wait, why are you so pale? Are you shaking? Oh my God, your feet are WHITE!"

"Yes, I'm quite c-cold." - Will stuttered, not having the energy to lie.

She grabbed his hand, feeling the difference in their body temperatures, "You do seem to be cold." - She led him to the couch, making him sit down. She grabbed a blanket, wrapping his whole body in it. He observed without a word as she lit a match, trying to start the fireplace.

"Why are you freezing in your own home? Didn't I tell you to take better care of yourself? How do you even survive by yourself?" - Eliana questioned, not expecting to get an anwser as she searched the kitchen cabinets for some tea.

"I think I sleepwalked. I woke up in the yard." - Will lied, "Now, aren't you gonna tell me why you came here?"

"Based on your current condition, I think I should come more often." - She looked at him from the kitchen, but Will wasn't impressed with the anwser, so she continued, "I... Came here to tell you the truth."

"How come? You afraid I'm gonna stop whatever relationship we have right now? Kick you out from the unit?" - He was still angry.

"I-I just hate the idea of you not trusting me." - She ran her fingers through her hair nervously, now walking towards Will, "I figure we can't function like this. So, about my past... It's kind of not a nice story and I don't like to share it but... If anyone could understand, it would probably be you."

Will's face softened, realizing his caring student was just as hurt as he was, "Well... "

*trr trr* - Will's phone rang, cutting him off.

"Yes, Jack?" - He anwsered, "Okay. We'll be there."

"Unfortunately, we'll have to postpone our conversation. We have a new case."

--------------------------------------------------------------

The car pulled up in front of a small house in a peaceful neighborhood on the outskirts of town. It seemed like a perfect place to start a family, only now it was burned. Smoke was still visible in the air and a fire truck was parked in the yard. The house was damaged, but it was not burned to the ground thanks to firefighter's quick reaction and the cold weather.

An old lady stood by the police line, murmuring quietly, "What a shame... They were such a beautiful couple..."

Will and Eliana passed her by, stepping into the burned house. Heavy smoke and the smell of burned flesh filled their nostrils, making them cover their mouths. The walls were black and the whole house was damaged, but the bedroom was in the worst condition.

"Will. Miss Holt. Come with me." - Jack greeted them and led them to the bedroom.

One burned body laid on the remains of a bed, and the other one on the floor next to it. The one on the bed was damaged to the point of being unrecognizable.

"The remains on the floor belong to Matty Payne, the owner of this house. The one on the bed was not yet identified, but it is believed to be Clara Hardy, Matty's fiancee." - Jack explained, "The neighbors reported a fire late last night, and it was first though to be an accident. But, the police found that both victims were tied, and the basement seemed to be broken into. Which is why our unit was called in."

"We could have a pyroman." - Beverly observed.

"What do you think, Will? Could it be pyromancy?" - Jack asked, quickly adding, "Actually, tell me after you work your magic."

"Right. I would be delighted to do this again." - Will anwsered sarcastically, with evident displeasure on his face.

"Everyone, give him some space!"

Will closed his eyes, slipping right into the killer's mind:
I watch them. I know where they live, what they do and when they sleep. I hide in the basement until it's time. Time for my first kill. I've been anticipating this. Waiting for the right time. I want to enjoy it, but I am still inexperienced. I knock the man down and tie him up. Then, I go to the woman, my real target. I tie her hands and feet, and lay her in the bed. In a place she found so safe, now she will burn.

This is my design.

Will opened his eyes, flames and screams still visible in his mind. He took a moment to catch his breath, trying to get out of the killer's headspace.

"It's not pyromancy. It was a murder of passion. He killed the woman... Because she deserved it."

"So, you think this is an isolated case? The killer is someone they knew?" - Jack asked.

"He certainly knew them... But they were not the ones he really wants to kill. His real target is unreachable, so he's killing others instead. And he's just gotten into it." - Will wiped his sweaty forehead.

"I think the killer is jealous. He hated their happiness, so he took it away." - Eliana joined the conversation, as all eyes were now on her, "...He is unhappy, left behind. This happy couple had something he could never have. So... He hated them for it."

"Yes. But mostly, he hated the woman. A woman in his life has done something... unforgivable to him." - Will continued.

"Wow, what a pair you two are!" - Beverly smiled, observing the dynamic.

"Yes, a pair of headcases." - Will laughed sourly.

"Anyway," - Jack interrupted, "That means we should look into people close to the victims. Where they worked, what places they went to, what they liked to do in their free time. That's the only clue we have for now, but get busy. And HOPE he doesn't have to kill again for us to figure it out."

-------------------------------------------------------------

Author's note: We have an original case in my creation! It will wrap up in the next chapter. Hope you enjoy.