Honesty is the only option

Another month had passed by, with another routine friday dinner arriving. The dining room looked tidy again, and some classical piece played quietly in the background. The two people sitting at the table ate in silence, but the tension beween them was louder than sound.

Eliana's complexion looked sickly in low light as she avoided lifting her head to look at the man across her. Hannibal watched her chewing lazily on lavish food he made with such care, making him wish she'd at least appreciate the taste.

"So, since I'm a death row prisioner, do I at least get a last wish?" - Eliana spoke suddenly, still in the middle of chewing.

Hannibal looked up, surprised at the abrupt manner of her words. "Inmates usually only get a last meal."

"I've had plenty of meals most people don't get to try in a lifetime. I don't consider it special anymore."

"So, you wish to have something special?"

"Yes." - She looked at him with deadly serious eyes.

"You haven't exactly been behaving in the last month." - Hannibal raised an eyebrow, "You tried taking a knife to your room. Then you threw a plate at me last week. You made a mess at every chance I gave you."

"My desperation was pretty valid, don't you think?"

"It was. So what would your wish be?" - Hannibal took a sip of red wine.

"Can I leave a message to my brother?" - She asked confidently.

"No." - The anwser was abrupt.

"Can you tell me how Will's doing?"

"No."

"Can I know what you did with Rosie's body?"

"No."

Eliana paused at that, without much disappointment on her face. "Then... Can I at least get a breath of fresh air?"

Hannibal was pretty certain she would try something again. That much was clear to him as soon as she started asking pointless questions. The smart girl was getting more and more desperate, with her attempts becoming sloppy at best. That much was to be expected, as she couldn't accept her fate that easily, but basically had no options left. After the first escape attempt, Hannibal tightened the security, making the previously slim chances of getting away almost nonexistent. He put an additional lock on her door, checked her room occasionally, installed a security system that sounds an alarm at movement, installed security cameras in the hallway, and all of this was connected to his phone which would warn him as soon as suspicious activity was detected.

So, maybe he should grant her the wish after all. Maybe thease escape attempts were a crucial part of acceptance. She had to struggle first to give up, and he was in complete control either way.

"Yes." - He anwsered after a pause.

"Really?" - She smiled sadly, "When?"

"Right now."

"Oh- now?!"

"You don't want to?"

"It's not t-that..." - She stuttered, "Sure, let's go now."

"All right." - He finished chewing and put the fork down. "Put on the handcuffs."

After she followed his instructions, they stepped into the hallway and walked in the opposite direction of her room. They walked to the second floor, all the way to the door at the corner.

"Where are we going?" - Eliana asked.

"The rooftop."

Well, this is even better then I thought.